Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Fia's POV

"What's happening?" I tried getting information out of Deacon for the third time. He had me by the hand, dragging me up the path to his house.

"Better be a good reason I'm here Vidar." Cain snapped. I turned, seeing him and Hale making there way up the drive as well.

"Okay, what's going on?" I pulled back on Deacon. He tightened his grip.

"A meeting, a late one." Cain brushed past us, letting himself inside. When the door opened I caught a glimpse of just who was inside.

"Dad?" I pulled from Deacon and followed on Hales heels. My father was standing in the living room, hands tucked tight in his pockets with an ever growing scowl to his face as he stared down Nolan. Everyone was here, Arlo, Althea, my mother, Jake, and I'm assuming neighboring Alphas.

"This couldn't wait till morning?" Cain snapped toward Nolan.

"Upset you have to actually do your job?" Jake hissed in Nolan's defense.

"Enough." Nolan raised his voice. My father looked me over, analyzing my neck before drawing his gaze over Deacon and his brother. It seemed he wasn't too thrilled at the thought of my mates anymore. I was too busy looking Nolan over, his eyes were blue, soft and sweet. He was him again. Yet he looked stressed, his brown hair tousled and his shirt not as clean and wrinkle free as they usually were.

Nolan turned toward the bar, elongating his claw and digging it into his wrist, I flinched, almost stepping forward at the sight of him causing himself harm. Everyone saw my movement, side eyeing me knowingly. I remained quiet, stepping back into place with Deacon. He grabbed my hand once more, an action that had stares darting to our close proximity. I couldn't win.

"There's a chance it could be a spirit, there's no need for this." Althea spoke up, looking as if she were trying to stop him.

"Spirits don't speak that clearly. It was a creature. And I need to know what." He dismissed his mother, taking the glass of his blood to my father.

"You're the first wolf asking to be on my list." He questioned Nolan as well, giving him a second chance to deny him the blood.

"I trust you King Vercelis. We have a treaty, and I need to know what I encountered. You need inside my head." He handed him the steaming cup. My father nodded appreciatively before lifting the glass to his lips. His eyes darkened, the veins in his skin surfacing, showcasing the black tar that resided inside him. I squeezed Deacons hand, still clueless as to what was going on. I didn't seem to be the only one. Other Alphas looked just as troubled to see one of there own offer up there blood and information so willingly.

"Show me." My father whispered. Nolan's eyes focused, as if recalling something for my fathers senses to analyze. I squeezed Deacons hand tight as my father went rigid, his gaze glassing over as a stoic expression framed his face. It was how he glanced to me, how I seemed to be the only one that noticed the flash of fear in his gaze. My father was never afraid. He handed the glass back to Nolan.

"Give me a moment." He spoke before shuddering into his own mist. My mother dissociated while he vanished, her brows furrowing. She was still in contact with my dad.

I released Deacon, our spark dwindling as I made my way to her, feeling a steady hand down her arm.

"What is it?" I whispered. She shook her head, bringing her stare to Althea. Before she could say anything my father reappeared, book in hand as he made his way to the table. He slammed the book down, flipping through page after page. It was then that I realized it was Harth, not Augustus. They moved differently, held there facial expressions differently. He pulled Nolan close, pointing down to a section in the book.