Last days...

Louis had just finished his last year of high school, just as Harry's finished his last year of primary. 

They're 12 and 17.

"So are you excited?" Louis asks Harry, walking him back from school.

Everyone thought harry, would outgrow the need to have Louis walk him from school. He did not, and eventually Louis couldn't imagine doing anything other than walking harry from school.

But he did join the football team, so harry just went to the field on those days to wait for Louis.

One day, during forth grade he didn't take the bus, instead he made his way to Louis's school to wait for him to finish pratice.

"About what?"

"Getting almost two months off school, and then starting high school next year" Louis exclaimed.

"Mmh, that depends?"

"On what?"

"On when you're going to  tell me, which uni you're going to go to"

"I'll tell you, when its time" Louis replied, guiltily.

"Oh you mean like when you up and leave me, and go to Manchester?" 

"Ok who said I'm going to machster?"

"Lottie"

"That girl needs to mind her own business, plus it's really not that far... it's like One hour and 30 minutes from donny."

"You could just go to college here, I mean I understand you want to play football but I'm sure college football is just fine"

"But varsity football is better, it gives me a better chance of going pro"

"What happened to majoring in English literature and drama?"

"I'll do that"

"You can do that here"

"Harry, you're not a child anymore. You don't get to act like you don't understand that change is inevitable"

Harry rolls his eyes and huffs.

"What? Thinking about laying on the grass and giving me the silent treatment" Louis teases.

Harry pecks up, "if it'll help?"

Louis gives him a bored look, "it won't"

"Worth a shot"

"It's not"

"You don't care about me anymore"

"That won't work either"

Harry throws his hands up in exasperation, "do you want to be away from me? Is that it? He snaps.

"You know that's not it Harry, but I have to go to uni. It's important, I wouldn't stop you from going." Louis says, trying to hide how hurt he is that harry can't be happy for him.

As always Harry, knows. "I'm sorry lou, I'm really proud of you for getting into the university you wanted. But I've known you all my life. I don't know how to live without you, I've never had to" Harry says, biting down on his lip to fight the tears.

"Harry, I'm less than two hours away...we can call each other everyday, and text and visit. Plus once you start high school.  You might not even have that much time for me" Louis says, trying to lift up the mood.

"You know that isn't true" Harry says, sniffing.

"Yeah I know" Louis says, sadly.

***

"Gemma if you don't hurry up, I'm leaving you here" Harry says, tapping his foot on the floor impatiently.

"Mom and dad are still here, so really you can't leave"

"Well I'll rather wait with Louis, than wait with you anyways. So I'll just drive to the restaurant with them instead"

"We're having these stupid family dinners because of you and Louis.  So you don't have to tell me you'd rather wait with Louis , I fuckin know it" she snaps.

"Gemma, don't swear at your brother" Anne says walking in.

Gemma huffs, brushing her hair aggressively. "Whatever"

"Can she stay at home?, I don't want her ruining this for me" Harry tells Anne.

"Harry, we've been having dinners with Louis's family every last day of school for the last five years.  It will not be any different this year, stop acting like you're meeting your boyfriend's family for the first time  or something."

"Louis is going to university, that's the difference." Harry snaps.

"I'm going too"

"Then you should know all about it, hurry up" Harry says walking out of Gemma room.

***

Gemma sits down on the bed, with a defeated sigh. "I can't compete with him mom, either one of them."

Anne moves to pull Gemma into a hug, "I know honey, I gave up trying a long time ago. Harry loves you, you're his sister but he's just scared cause Louis is leaving"

"But I'm leaving too, he's my brother. Its like he doesn't care, sometimes it feels like we're just the support act to him and Louis"

"You have lottie, you guys are like sister" Anne tries.

"Yeah, because Louis and harry can't get their heads out each other's Ass's"

"Gemma don't be vile, what's wrong with you?"

"I know I'm sorry mom, I just... I don't know. Its like...If I couldn't form a bond with harry when we lived in the same house, how will I do it all the way from America" Gemna says, sadness weighing heavy on her.

"Give him time, harry loves you. You're his sister, he loves you" Anne says reassuring her.

Gemma nods

"And so does Louis, you guys ain't as close as when you were kids but he loves you" Anne continues.

"Yeah,  I should finish my hair"

"I'll do it hun"

Anne knows Gemma struggles with Louis and harry's relationship. Has since Harry was born, even though she's got her own friends now.

Sometimes she struggles with the reality that their whole lives have been restructured to fit around Louis and harry's relationship.

Louis who was meant to be her best friend.

Harry who was meant to be her brother.

"Mom, Gemma? Dad says he's ready let's go?!" Harry says from the dining room.

"Ok hun, it's just dinner.  And we'll have another one for you before you go to America you know that?" Anne reassures Gemma gently.

"I know"

"They're our second family, not only because of Louis and harry ok. We're a family"

"Mom come on!" Harry shouts closer to Gemma room, getting impatient.

"We're coming honey"

"You said that like 10 minutes ago"

"It has not been 10 minutes harry, don't be dramatic" Anne tells him.

"Well, what If they're already at the restaurant waiting for us"

"You've said that every year, and Louis always makes them wait for us on the driveway.  They haven't left" Robin tells harry, laying a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

Anne smiles gratefully at him.

After a moment,

"well then let's not keep Louis waiting, let's go" Harry says, already turning around to walk out the door.