The Birthday Boy

We all hide behind something, waiting in suspense when a familiar looking dinosaur pops out.

"Bumpy!" Ben and I exclaim.

We both run towards her, and we hug her.

"And drooly, and smelly, how do you even know that's the same dinosaur?" Kenji asks.

"Her big head bump." Ben says.

"Dr. Wu says she's asymmetrical, but he's wrong that it's bad." I say.

"And so what if she is asymmetrical? There's nothing wrong with being different or bumpy, or getting tired after reading an overly thrilling book! And maybe if her parents had listened to her, she wouldn't have come here and gotten attacked!" Ben says.

"Are we still talking about the dinosaur?" Yaz says. "Feels like we're not still talking about the dinosaur."

"As fun as this reunion is, shouldn't we keep moving south?" Kenji asks.

"I'm not spending another hour walking through the jungle, hoping that we don't run into that Indominus." Brooklynn says. "We need a new plan."

"Uh, yeah, obviously we need a new plan, so I had Darius figure out a new one, lay it on us bro." Kenji says.

"Okay." Darius says. "So, uh... we need to find somewhere safe close by, if camp is that way, and the park is that way..."

Darius gasps.

"Isn't Dr. Wu's field genetics lab near here?" He asks. "You guys went on the tour, does this area look familiar?"

"Um, yeah, y-yeah, I think it might be over that way." Sammy says.

"That seems right." Yas says.

"Great, that's where we should go, there's bound to be an adult there who can help us or tell us what to do, right?" Darius asks.

We hear a roar, and we all gasp.

"Fine, whatever, let's just go to the lab, as long as we are moving away from that." Brooklynn says.

"What about Bumpy?" Ben asks.

"Yeah." I say.

"She's a dinosaur bro, she belongs out here in the wild." Kenji tells us.

"And she'll just slow us down, we gotta go now." Yaz says.

Bumpy rubs her head on us, and I see Ben looking sad.

"Why don't we sneak her along?" I suggest.

"That's a good idea, but what about your leg?" He says.

"It's fine, I can do this." I say.

We get her to follow us for a while, but then she stops, and we have to pull her.

"Bumpy come on!" I whisper-shout.

I look back to make sure they aren't looking, and she runs into my leg, causing me to fall back, I close my eyes before I fall, expecting to fall on the ground, but instead I fall on what feels like a person, I open my eyes and I see Ben, my face instantly turns red, so I cover my face, and I roll off him.

"Sorry." I apologize.

He doesn't answer so I peek through my hands, and I see him still laying on the ground, and I see Bumpy nearby eating some berries.

"Ben?" I ask.

I uncover my face, stand up, and walk over to him, and when I do, I see his face is red as well.

"Ben, I'm so sorry." I hold out my hand so he can get up.

He sits up, grabs my hand, and stands up.

"Are you okay?" I ask.