Chapter 1: "Karens aren't supposed to be cute, but what the hell?"

HARPER

HARPER

Standing alone in the elevator, I looked at my own reflection on the mirrors surrounding me, dusting off the nonexistent lint on the collar of my coat. Clutching my handbag a little tighter, I leaned closer to the wall— mirror— and inspected my nude lipstick, making sure there wasn't a smudge. With a soft sigh, I mentally prepared myself for yet another week of work. As the COO of Knight International, I'm always swamped with paperwork and whatnot. It's exhausting, sure, but I love my job. I wouldn't trade it for the world— well, I would for the CEO position, but that'll be in my hands soon.

Exiting the elevator, I stepped into the top floor of the KIHQ— Knight International Headquarters— and walked towards my office. The employees buzzing around the executive floor stopped to greet me good morning and I nodded at each of them in return.

The clicking sound my heels made on the tiled floor was drowned out by the even louder ones of my assistant. Sarah’s fiery red hair was being blown out of her face due to the fast pace of her steps as she speed walked to catch up with me. After exchanging greetings, she recited my schedule for the day while clutching the company-issued tablet to her chest.

“Okay, so you have a meeting at 9:30 with the board to discuss the plans for the Barcelona Project, the papers from Marketing need to be signed by 10:00, and a lunch meeting with Attorney Monroe at 12:00." She took a deep breath before continuing. "The head director for Advertising will swing by your office at 2 o'clock to finalize their pitch, and then more signatures due 'til 5 from the finance department."

By the time she finished with the narration, we were standing in front of my office door. She handed me a hot cup of coffee and was about to head to her desk that's placed outside my office when she abruptly stopped and said, "Oh, and your dad's here."

I turned to look at her slowly, narrowing my eyes, because I knew she most definitely held off on telling me this information until the last minute. The expression on her face is the definition of sheepish, her lips stretched in some sort of mix between a smile and a grimace. With my second sigh of the day, I softened my glare and let it go. I know she did it because she knew that I wouldn't be able to focus on anything else she would say after announcing my father's visit, and that's why she's the best secretary.

Plus, it's not her fault I'm so guarded around my dad, it's just how we've always been. He's closed off and holds me at an arm's length, and I'm... well, I adapted to it. So yeah, you could say I'm not that thrilled to face him on a Monday morning.

I opened the door and spotted my father's tall figure standing by the floor to ceiling window behind my office chair, staring at the busy city view. At the sound of the door opening, he turned to meet my wary gaze with his usual unreadable one.

"Hey dad!" My overly chirpy tone broke the silence, if he was irritated by it, I wouldn't know. I palmed the wall beside me and turned on the light, my handbag sliding from my wrist to my elbow due to the slippery feel of my white satin long sleeved blouse.