Chapter 13: "You're really goddamn beautiful, you know that?"

RONNIE

RONNIE

I was usually very good at containing my feelings, but as I slipped on a pair of strappy sandals by my front door, I was struggling with stopping myself from grinning like a frickin high school girl.

Harper texted me about an hour ago about our plans for a late lunch. According to her, we were going to have a little picnic at a park a few miles away from my apartment that I didn't even know existed. Dressed in an outfit I deemed appropriate for an outdoorsy date, I bent down to adjust the straps of my sandals around my ankle.

I couldn't help but take peeks at my phone that was placed on the counter, waiting for it to light up with a text indicating that Harper's outside my building. As per her request, she was picking me up and driving us to the park together instead of meeting up there. I didn't mind not driving so I agreed.

Honestly, I was surprised when Harper called me yesterday. I didn't peg her for the type of person who made the first move. So when she asked me out, I said yes without giving it another thought. And you should know that that was really unlike me.

Partially because I wasn't really looking to be in a relationship at the moment, but mostly because I was the type of person who weighs the pros and cons of my decisions first before making it. I like being sure of myself, of what I'm getting myself into, before making any commitments, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem, because backing out is not an option I like taking. I hate it when people go back on their word, and I hold myself to the same standard— I mean unless you have an actual, logical reason, duh. I'm not an that irrational.

So anyway, to agree to a date so easily like that was, well, a little out of character for me. But it's Harper.

I felt too drawn to that woman to not explore this. Besides the fact that I'm insanely attracted to her— I mean, how could you not? Have you seen her? She's a frickin' 10, way outta my league— I genuinely enjoy spending time with her.

She's like an open book, except it's written in a whole different language. She's friendly and welcoming, yet still mysterious at the same time. Her bubbly, carefree persona that clashes with the rare, sensitive one I've only caught glimpses of, makes me curious to know more.

How could you say no to that? You couldn't. That's why I didn't.

The ping! I was anticipating drew me out of my thoughts. Making my way to pick up my phone, I saw the screen light up with a notification. The preview shown on my lockscreen said that Harper was already parked in front of my building. Suppressing a smile by biting my bottom lip, I grabbed the small sling bag full of my necessities for the day and threw it over my shoulder.

Bidding goodbye to a sleeping Caramel, I stepped out of my flat and turned to lock the door behind me. I was busy looking down at my bag, tucking my keys inside, when I bumped into a hard male chest. The familiar scent of cologne that tickled my nose and the calloused pair of hands that clutched my waist made me instantly know who this person was.