Chapter 23: "An exclusive entrance, just for me."

Trigger Warning! If you have not read the content warnings on the very first page, you should. But just to reiterate, especially for this chapter, discussions of sexual assault will take place. Please proceed with caution. If you simply could not read this type of content but wish to continue reading the book, you can message me on here and I can give you a summary of what went down in this chapter without the deeper details.

Also, to avoid confusion, paragraphs in italics are from Harper's POV.

Okay, enough author notes, I know we all hate those lol.

RONNIE

The sun was finally peeking out from behind the clouds after a night of heavy rainfall. The sky was still cloudy, a bit on the darker side except for the few rays of sunshine that escaped and reflected off of the silver metal railings on the balcony. Could the picturesque scene in front of me be analogized to the thought that bad days always eventually pass, making way for all the good that would follow? Or was it the other way around?

Was it that it didn't matter that there was finally splashes of light, because there was still that darkness looming over like a heavy cloud, threatening to take over with it's inevitable downpour?

Could it be that it— I pressed my eyes forcibly shut and shook my head with a silent bewildered smile. That was enough philosophical mumbo jumbo for the day. I didn't even know what caused my train of thought to veer that way. One second I was swiping the moisture that had accumulated on the railing with my fingertips, the next I was staring a the sky and channeling my inner Anaximander.

Pulling the sliding door shut after stepping back inside the warmer confines of the living room, my eyes fell upon the upturned form of my previous night's companion on the couch. With her head hanging off the seat, Harper's blonde locks swept the floor everytime she moved.

I didn't seem to need the sun anyway. There was my source of sunshine.

As soon at that thought registered in my brain, I suspiciously looked down at the mug of tea in my hands with squinted eyes. Looked normal. Hmm.

I sniffed it for extra measure. It didn't smell any different, but I was pretty sure it was something in my drink that was making me a massively corny sap this early in the morning.

Harper was still busy snickering over something on her phone, tapping away at the screen and too occupied to spare me a glance when I passed behind the sofa. I pinched her knee before moving around the rest of her legs that were angled up and dangling over the back of the couch.

With a sticker-dotted tablet on one hand, I plopped myself down on the loveseat adjacent to where Harper was very interestingly seated.

Since I was always going and leaving the country, I tended to miss out on a lot of the most recent news. Local news, world news, latest celeb gossip— the works. I always made sure to catch up whenever I had the time. So while I waited for the weekly recap article I clicked on to load, I looked over my newly rearranged sala.