Chapter 19: "It felt like home."

RONNIE

RONNIE

My car was parked a block or so away from KIHQ, as per Harper's request. Apparently, the front of the Knight building was a bit crowded with cars ready to pick up their girlfriends and wives— or boyfriends and husbands, you don't know— during Saturday nights like tonight.

Was I one of those picking up their girlfriends? Hopefully after tonight I was.

I turned off the engine and tried to tamp down my hopefulness. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, okay? Grabbing my phone from my purse on the passenger seat and the keys from the ignition, I unclipped my seatbelt and stepped out into the breezy early evening atmosphere.

After closing the door shut, I leaned my back onto it, ignoring the looks I received from a handful of passersby. Tugging on the stretchy material of my dress a little, I looked down and mentally compared what I was wearing to those of the ones around me. Admittedly, I was a bit too dressy for a busy street like this that was bustling with people in suits and pencil skirts. I didn't mind though, they could stare all they wanted.

As I was staring down at my phone, getting ready to pull up Harper's contact to text her I was here, I heard the indisputable voice of the woman I was just thinking about.

"Yeah? Well you're friends deserve some fucking jail time, and so do you if that's the kind of people you associate with." Harper spat venom with every word as she continued down the sidewalk, distractedly speaking on the phone she was pressing to her ear with one hand while the other was pulling on the strap of her dress. Her heels made loud click-clacking stomps as she went.

Dang, she was not in a good mood.

While my mind noted that Harper was practically brimming with rage, my body somehow thought it was a great time to direct all my body heat down between my thighs. Fiery was a good look on her.

But of course, not the time, nor the place. Get a grip, dude.

I cleared my throat, still reeling from my body's inappropriate reaction to seeing Harper all mad and feisty for the first time, and pushed myself off of the car.

"No, I don't give a shit... Ha! You wish!" She was still hissing at whoever she was on the phone with, and still hadn't noticed me standing a few feet from her. "How 'bout for once, try working to get that something you want instead of relying on my dad's pity? It's starting to get a bit pathetic, doncha think?"

"Harper," I called out, low enough so that the person on the other line won't hear, but loud enough for her to. I stepped into her line of sight.

When her gaze landed on me, she visibly loosened up as a small smile grew on her lips. Her once stiff straight spine and wound-up shoulders shifted into a much more relaxed posture while the steely look in her eyes melted into a softer one that didn't threaten bodily harm as she made her way to me.