Chapter 20: "Rando lowlife who?"

RONNIE

RONNIE

It was already past eleven pm when the condo came into view. The roads were silent and empty, dragging Harper and I's serene moment from the fountain all the way back home. But even as we basked in tranquil post-its official! glow, the drive hummed with a dangerous undercurrent neither of us spoke of.

It started the moment we began making our way back to the parking lot from the plaza— actually scratch that, it started the second I laid eyes on her earlier tonight and just gradually became more pressing as the night went on. I had asked Harper if she wanted me to drive her to her house, her response only arriving once we were seated inside my car.

"I don't want you to. Is that okay?" Harper was looking at me from under thick lashes, hesitant, inches away from me from the passenger seat.

"'Course it's okay."

Whatever she wanted, anything was okay, especially when she was looking at me like that.

That undercurrent turned into full-blown electricity the minute we stepped inside the claustrophobic confines of my condo's elevator. It was buzzing life under my skin despite the late hours of the night. My body felt like sharing the static with Harper as my hand came up to plant itself on her lower back.

The touch was innocent enough, only meant to guide her outside the lift and into the quiet hallway leading to my front door. Not my fault that Harper's sharp gasp sent images akin to that of snapshots from an adult-rated movie to my brain.

I tried to push them away. I made it a point to set no expectations in my head on what going back to my place meant while on the drive here. I was not one to push, and the two of us have spent countless night on my bed doing nothing but watch movies and sleep, so there was no reason for me to be anything but a gentlema—

My back collided with the hard wall beside my door with a thump. One would think that that was what stole the breath from my lungs but no, it was Harper's lips that left me breathless, lips that crashed down on mine with unrestrained intent and passion. My reciprocation followed quickly behind, all former thoughts that occupied my head were clouded with lust.

The woman was relentless. The hands that were gripping my waist started daringly creeping up until one palm grasped my breast and squeezed. My back arched into her touch but my head pulled away. We were out in the hall, shamelessly devouring each other while any one of my neighbors could easily walk out and see us. As much as the thought of getting caught lit up my nerves, I didn't want our first time to be a hasty hook-up in fluorescent-lit corridor.

Ignoring Harper's frustrated whimper, I pulled away from her kisses to unlock my door and bring her inside. The slamming shut of the door was in time with the snapping of my patience.

Her gasp was swallowed by my mouth as I reached around her body and unzipped her dress all the way down in one tug. Grasping the designer blue straps in front of Harper's delicate shoulders, I pushed her backwards until it was her flattened against the wall. With the last of my wits gathered, I pulled away once again, her pink bottom lip trapped between my teeth.