Chapter 5: "Pro tip, ladies and gents: Always end the night on a high note."

HARPER

HARPER

It's been a week since that encounter with Ronnie in my office and I still had no idea on what possessed me to do that. Despite being a self-proclaimed flirt, I actually was not used to making the first move.

Wait, was that me making a move or was that just me flirting for the hell of it like I always do? Because for some reason, I felt like that was a move. But how would I know for sure when flirting with my friends was like my second nature? Could I even call Ronnie my friend? I've only met her like, twice. But I'm really drawn to her, I feel comfortable around her, as if I've known her for years. But does one feel drawn to a friend? Maybe I—

Fuuuck, now I was simply confusing myself. That train of thought went off the rails real quick.

"Ugh." I groaned, shaking my head to try and get rid of these thoughts. I shoved some more extra dresses in the small luggage I was packing.

Holding up a silky white blouse for inspection, my mind flashed back again to Ronnie from last week at KIHQ. She was wearing a similar blouse with a few of the top buttons undone as she slowly backed away from me. I remembered not stopping my advances until she had nowhere else to go, the back of her thighs hitting my table while her hands gripped the edge for support.

I remembered feeling my eyes glaze over and my throat tighten at the sight of her staring up at me. I'd be lying if I said that my thoughts at the time were pure, because they were anything but.

I didn't know if I wanted to thank Sarah for interrupting, or strangle her. That one's still up for debate. So after my bubble of confidence burst— thank you again to my trusty secretary— I had to avoid looking in Ronnie's direction for the entirety of the meeting to prevent myself from combusting into little flames of humiliation.

"Nope! Let's not think about this right now!" I said out loud to no one in particular, considering I was alone in my bedroom, and tossed the blouse into the rejected pile of clothes on one corner of my bed.

Why was I even thinking about this right now? I mean I was attracted to her, that's for sure, but I didn't know her that well. She could be straight— and I didn't want to get entangled with a straight girl again. Been there, done that, never again, thank you very much.

Or she could be taken. She and that other pilot, Langley I think, looked to be very close from both times I've seen them together. I wondered if there's anything between them, it's very possible.

My thoughts were interrupted when Lily, our housekeeper, knocked 3 times then slowly opened my door. "Harper, sorry to disturb, but your father said to fetch you. He said he doesn't want to be late for your flight." Her soft voice never fails to soothe my nerves. Over the years, Lily has been less of a housekeeper and more of a mother figure to me. She's been with us since I was seven, she practically raised me.