Chapter 7: "That girl, I swear..."

RONNIE

RONNIE

It was when the clock struck 1:15 on a Tuesday afternoon that I decided to get up off my ass and do something productive. I've been lounging at home all day in my pajamas, binge-watching Schitt's Creek with Caramel, when I realized I was out of, well, literally everything. My fridge was practically empty. All the lumpia I made a week ago was gone, leaving me more homesick that ever.

Due to having the most random work schedule ever, especially this month, I haven't been able to go out and shop.

After a quick shower, I was getting ready in my room when I decided to go to the mall instead of just the grocery store.

I was startled by Caramel running into the room, barking loudly. He ran circles in front of me then walked back out, his way of telling me to follow him. Grabbing my bag and a pair of white sneakers, I exited my room and strolled into the kitchen where my golden retriever was sitting patiently by his water bowl, wagging his tail.

"Oh, are you thirsty, my love? Here, let's get you some water." I cooed in a baby voice, reserved only for my fur baby, as he barked once in response. I picked up the metal bowl from the floor and filled it with water, placing it back down after. Petting and ruffling Caramel's brown head, I made my way to the living room.

Sitting down on the couch to finally put on my shoes, I stared at the reflection of the large world map situated behind the couch on my turned off TV screen, taking up almost the entirety of the wall.

Sweeping my gaze over the surface littered with pins and knick-knacks, I felt my heart lighten as it always did when I looked at the more-than-a-decade old map. Looking at it never fails to brighten my mood.

I remember buying that gigantic map when I was 16 at a random thrift shop in Manila, vowing to visit as much of the world as possible. 11 years later, it's half-filled, a pin on each country I've been to so far, along with some tiny memorabilia I got from that certain place.

Spotting the pink sticky note I recently placed on top of France, a smile formed on my lips.

With my keys in hand, I walked to the front door with Caramel in tow. I crouched down to kiss and hug him goodbye, promising treats for him when I got back as long as he behaves like a good boy and doesn't chew on any shoes, then left to ride the elevator down to the parking lot.

Thankfully, the drive to the mall was short, the traffic limited. After spending 5 minutes looking for a parking spot that wasn't next to a shady-looking van with tinted windows— you never know, better safe than sorry, amirite?— I made my way to the entrance of the mall.

 After spending 5 minutes looking for a parking spot that wasn't next to a shady-looking van with tinted windows— you never know, better safe than sorry, amirite?— I made my way to the entrance of the mall