Chapter 5: The Maiden's inner anguish

Reimu and the Yakumo Clan were searching for Hecatia Lapislazuli (1) at Gensokyo's current Hell. A great number of black building were raising like if it was a resemblance of the Outer World but everything was haunted like if it was a post-apocalyptic world with no hope left. Sky was some sort of reddish twilight without sun.

(1): The Goddess of three different hells. She's stunningly beautiful with a red long bob hair, ruby eyes, and a modern black shirt exposing her tummy that says "Welcome ♡ Hell", combined with a colored miniskirts with black patterns on it. She's not evil. In fact, is a wise governor and a nice person.

Ran: "Reimu, you didn't say a single word since we have arrived."

Yukari: "Are you alright?"

Chen pokes the Maiden in the back trying to get an answer from her.

Reimu: "I'm okay... it doesn't matter, because I just did wake up a bit dense. That's all."

The Maiden has her head in another place thinking on her last dream. She was alone in a beach in twilight, the softly roaring tides were nostalgic for her and a figure similar to Yukari was with her... until she started to distance from Reimu for some reason. Everything that remained was she alone in an illusionary world.

Reimu: "I just have to make my mind. Let's continue, Yukari."

Says in low tone of voice that shows some resignation after coming to the conclussion of her feelings about an impossible love.

Yukari: "Reimu... we'll move when you tell me what's happening. You can't be like that if we have to fight again."

Reimu: "All this time... since we did meet at your sanctuary, since you did humillate me not going seriously in that fight, continuously toying and teasing me... I wanted to give my best everyday for moments like this. But it's clear... my role in all of this is to be the one who sacrifies to save them all... to save people I supossedly cannot befriend. I've decided to supress feelings from now on, to not dream anymore and live reality because... all I can do is... fight. When this is over, if we win... can you never return to the shrine? Is the best for us to say goodbye. If we still meet... it will be even worse at the end."

After her words showing a painful tone specially at the last phrase, she gets ahead. Ran inmediately understood what was happening. Chen felt scared about it and sticked to Reimu's back embracing her.

Chen: "Chen likes Reimu, don't go away meow!"

Reimu: "I'm not allowed to say I like you but I hope that my actions speak more than my words. This goes for any Youkai who knows me and specially the biggest and more powerful of them all. I'm a walking sacrilege with no chance of being happy, that's why I'll give my life for them until the end. No other thing matters for me at this point."

Ran: "Miss Yukari..."

Reimu gets farther to enter first in Hell Realm and search for the Goddess.

Reimu: "Let me find Hecatia. You can go search for the Sages. Bye for now, Yakumo Clan."

After the Maiden's depart, a tense silence did happen, Chen was crying and Ran embraces the small cat to calm her with headpats.

Ran: "To be exact she has been the definition of a tool for too much time, Miss Yukari. She's glad to help us but it's starting to be too much for her. I know that face. Is the face of one who will give up its life if necessary to fulfill its mission. She thinks she's not worthy for more than that."

Yukari: "Reimu... but why? What made you act like this?"

Ran: "I think she's in love with you. But because of her role and her status as a Human didn't confess it. And if it was from a long time she just played the tough girl thinking that you are out of her league or anyone would be with you before her... or you know, the lifespan problem. You'll outlive her. The truth is that she likes your teasings and your presence in the temple."