Chapter 36: Nandini

Manik's words were killing me, I won't lie I saw honesty in his eyes and it was the same honesty I had felt when I was with him. My heart wants to believe it so bad but I'm scared of getting hurt again, I don't want to go through it again.

It was around 7pm in Iceland it was getting colder and colder but thank god for the heaters everywhere.

I went downstairs to find everyone having dinner and yes I was late, I was so tired. I join them and there was only one seat left which was next to Manik's. Cabir had done takeaway food for today.

"Nandini you seem so tired" navya speaks

"Yeah I had to do some calls before I slept that's why" I tell them, it was related to some of my patients that I had been watching just to see if the trainee under me was doing well and there was no problem.

My gaze falls over Manik's plate which looked like he hadn't touched his food at all. Is he purposely starving himself? I wanted to ask him so bad but I felt like again I shouldn't.

Please someone ask for me, please. How hasn't anyone not noticed him not eating?

"So how is the food?" I ask so someone could speak up asking him.

"It's so good! The Indian restaurant nearby has some tasty food—main toh sochta hu wahi se harroz khana order karu" Cabir speaks but he was so focused in his food.

"Oh really? It feels like you're hyping it up—aap batao uncle" I turn to Manik's dad.

"Oh it's so good, Tum khao" he finally looks up, yes thank you please notice manik and ask him.

I could feel Manik's eyes on me he was probably wondering why I was behaving weirdly.

"Achaa okay main try karti hoon, this chicken tikka masala looks good" I reply getting the bowl of chicken tikka masala, it was Manik's favourite curry I hope someone will notice and say something. "only some left, does anyone else want some?"

Cabir finally looks up "yeah give it manik he loves—" but he pauses "wait, manik your plate seems untouched why aren't you eating?" YES YES! Mission succeed! Finally someone noticed thank you Cabir!

"I'm not really hungry, I had a full course meal plus snacks in the flight" he speaks. Lies. He barely had anything, what's the reason for this? I wonder if he's genuinely not feeling like he wants to eat something because of him being sick.

"But that was almost 6 hours ago" I blurt hoping to get an answer out of him, if it was about his health of course I will ask.

"Yeah I don't get hungry easily you know that" he looks towards me, I felt mukti and alya stare at me. Yes I knew he didn't eat much but that habit changed once I made him for the past 4 months now that I remember. "it's okay when I do I'll eat" he gives me smile.

"I need to do some work, excuse me guys—and dad aapki medicines ka time ho gaya hai I'll bring it out for you" he looks at his dad who gives him a nod. Manik loves his dad more than anything, which honestly warms my heart the way he has been taking care of him while managing work too.

I turn around to look at him as he leaves, he seemed weaker than usual. Fuck were the medicines even working? I need to ask him, I have to my stuff aside for once and think about him and his health.

"So tomorrow I have this amazing look out trip planned for us, everyone be ready by 8" Cabir speaks picking up his plate "especially you alya, Dhruv it's your duty to get her here at 8!"

"Oh no Cabir Kuch Aur keh deta, this sounds impossible" Dhruv says as we all laugh.

"Hey I don't take that long!"