Chapter 1 (S4): The Hellfire Club

Lenora Hills, CaliforniaMarch 21, 1986

March 21, 1986

Dear Mike,

Today is day 185. It feels more like ten years, but Joyce says time is funny like that. She says that just to make me feel better but i can't help it. Emotions make time feel sped up or slowed down.

This week I've been so busy. I have to make something called a visual aid. I'm hoping I will get an A but my project looks like a kindergartner's. El's and Will's looks better than mine, but we'll see what happens.

Some exciting news! Joyce got an amazing new job! She gets to work at home. She says she loves the freedom, but honestly I can tell even this job stresses her out. But you know, Joyce always stresses.

Will has been painting a lot, but he never shows anyone what he's working on. Maybe it's for a girl. I'm not sure but i definitely think there's somebody he likes, because he's been acting weird.

Jonathan is acting weird also. At first I just assumed it was because he still hasn't gotten used to the new environment or that he's worrying about college. He's still waiting for his letter. Not too long ago, I saw smoke from his room. I couldn't tell what it could be, but after I asked him about it and he looked all nervous, I think I caught the memo.

This also brings me to the topic of his friend Argyle.
He's been driving us to school in his pizza van. His hair is even longer than mine! He and Jonathan smoke together. I made the mistake of telling El and Will that Jonathan was smoking and when El asked him about the "smelly plants" , Jonathan told us that the plants are super safe because they come from the earth, but to not tell Joyce. I'm not naive.

Me? I'm twice as happy now! You were right. It just takes time. I think we're all finally adapting. At first, I missed all the flowers but now I find it pretty here too. I even like school now! It's not the same as it was back in Hawkins, obviously because I miss everyone, but I think everyday I get more used to it. I'm trying my best to do well in math and El's grammar is getting better now.

I know I can always count on El and Will but it also helps that everyone is so nice here. I made lots of friends! Even so, I am ready for Spring break, mostly because I get to see you. I'm so excited to see you, I can barely hold in my excitement! Are you excited too? I think you'll love it here like me. I think we'll have the best spring break ever. I miss you.

Love, Y/N

Third Person P.O.V

Y/N sighed in satisfaction after finishing her letter to Mike. After leaving Hawkins, Y/N was nervous that Mike might forget about her and not any send letters, but they've been sending them back and forth ever since we got to California. Y/N only wished she was always truthful to Mike in her letters. She told him multiple lies about her having a lot of friends at school. She just didn't want him to worry. She want him to be relieved knowing she's "happy".