3: Basement

Steve repeatedly rang the doorbell and knocked on the door until a man with gray hair opened it. 

"What?" He asked.

"I need to talk to Mike," Steve said.

The man slowly turned to face the staircase behind him. "MIKE!" 

"What?" A faint reply sounded from the upstairs, and then footsteps.

"Steve's here!"

"Why?"

"I don't know!"

"Ask him!"

"Come here!"

I could hear a loud groan, then a pair of feet appeared on the stairs. A face peeked out from behind the downstairs ceiling, then he came all the way downstairs.

"What?" He had dark black hair, in kind of a bowl-cut style. His cheekbones stuck out a lot. "Who are you? And what's wrong with your face?"

"We need to talk," Steve said, walking in. "You got anyone in the basement right now?"

"Nah." Mike shut the door, following me, who was following Steve downstairs.

Once we reached the bottom, Steve sat on a couch under the stairs. I sat next to him, and Mike took the armchair.

"So, who's the random girl?" He asked, crossing his arms. He had a blue and white striped shirt, and I could see how skinny he was from his bony arms.

"Daisy," I answered.

He raised an eyebrow. "Last name?"

"Harrington."

He frowned.

"Mike, this is my little sister, Daisy," Steve explained. "She needs a place to stay tonight."

"Oh." He nodded awkwardly. "And why doesn't she sleep at your house? Where you live?"

"Can't." He replied. "Uh, I was hoping she could stay here. I talked to Joyce a few hours ago and Will's having some trouble, so she can't go there." He grabbed my backpack, which was sitting next to me. "We didn't have time for anything. Do you have blankets?"

"So." Mike twiddled his thumbs on the couch, sitting on the other end from me. "Your face?"

"Nothing happened," I said, holding my bag in my lap.

"Mm-hmm," He replied, confused.

We sat quietly for a bit.

"I'm sorry." I suddenly said.

"For what?"

"For randomly arriving at your house?" I replied. "You don't know me, and I don't know you. My brother just dropped me off and left. I'm sorry."

"Oh." He smiled. "It's fine. This stuff actually happens a lot. Last year-" He paused. "Uh, never mind." He bit his lip. "Lucas and Max were gonna come over tonight." He frowned. "Sorry, those are my friends. You want to meet 'em?"

"I met Max."

"Oh?" 

"In the car."

"Oh. You want to meet them or should I tell Max to just stay at Lucas's?"

"I'll meet 'em. Are they supposed to spend the night?"

"Yeah."

"Okay."