55: Reefer Rick

"Reefer Rick?" Max walked to the other side of the counter, holding the phone dial. "Does this Reefer Rick have a last name? I mean, he's Eddie's... Okay, got it." She dropped it back on the receiver and turned to face me, grinning. "I think I have a lead."

"Seriously?" Dustin and Robin both hung up their phones.

She nodded. "Apparently Eddie gets his drugs from some guy named Reefer Rick, and sometime's Eddie crashes there."

"Sounds promising, where does he live?" Robin asked.

She sighed. "See that's the thing, no one knows." Max continued. "He's more of a... legend than someone people actually know."

"Last name?" I asked, still seated on the counter.

"I don't know that either." 

"Bet the cops know his last name," Steve muttered, tossing a tape in a cart. 

"Cops?" I asked.

"I mean listen, if this Reefer Rick is actually a drug dealer, I guarantee you he's been busted at some point. Means he's in the system." He grinned, leaning over the counter.

"The cops, really Steve?" Dustin questioned. "That's your suggestion?"

"I mean, I think they should be filled in on what we know, what's going on."

"You think Eddie's guilty, don't you?" Dustin scoffed. 

"I believe in innocent until proven guilty, all that constitutional bullshit." Steve protested. "I just, you know, don't think we can rule it out."

"That's precisely what we're trying to do here Steve," Max said.

"And maybe, we'd have a little bit more luck, if you spent less time trying to find a girlfriend and more time trying to find Eddie!" Dustin added.

"Well someone has to attend to the customers!" He exclaimed. 

"Especially if they're babes, right?" Robin smiled.

"Hey, not fair, I attend to all customers, babes and non-babes alike, okay? We've got a very big selection here. It can be super overwhelming for people."

"Yeah, it can be," Robin muttered, turning to the computer.

"What're you doing?" I asked.

"Maybe we don't need a last name." She slowly typed Rick into the search bar, pulling up twelve Ricks. "Twelve Ricks have accounts here."

"That's a lot of Ricks," Max said.

"Yeah. So let's narrow it down. Rick Alderman's latest rentals are Annie and Dumbo. " She glanced at us. "What are the chances a drug dealer has a family?"

"Not likely," Dustin said.

"Okay, Rick Conroy." She clicked his name from him, laughing. " Sixteen Candles, Teen Wolf, and  Romancing the Stone. "

"No." We all said.

She nodded. "Rick Joiner, Mask, Footloose,  and Grease. "

"Nah," Dustin said.

"Rick Kimbrough." She continued. " The Blue Lagoon,  and Splash. "

I laughed. "No."

"Definitely not," Max added.

"Okay, Rick Lipton, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Cheech and Chong's next movie, Cheech and Chong's Nice Dreams, Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke."

Dustin broke out laughing. "Definitely!"

Steve agreed. 

"Lipton?" Max asked.