7: Halloween

I had my last class with Max, who volunteered for me to sit with her. She waved when I entered the room, making a big scene.

"Daisy!" She shouted, her hands cupped around her mouth.

I smiled, walking over to her and sitting next to her at the table.

"Okay." She put her hands on the table. "Are you going to dress up for Halloween?"

I frowned. "I don't have a costume, so no."

"Let me re-phrase that." She smiled. "Do you want to dress up for Halloween?"

"Sure?" I shrugged, finally shrugging off my bag and setting it on the ground.

"Perfect." She grinned. "I've got a few ideas."

"What are they?" I reached in my backpack for the pencil I'd taken from a previous class.

"So, I know sheet ghosts are super stereotypical, but-"

"Yeah, sure."

"Really? And we go as a pair?"

"Yes okay, we can-"

"Ladies?" A tall lady with gray hair pulled back in a tight bun stood in front of us. "Would you two like to share your conversation with the class?"

"No," Max replied, slumping in her seat.

"All right then, Max Mayfield. Detention." She looked at me. "Would you?"

"No thanks," I muttered.

"Alright, detention for you too. I don't recognize you, what's your name?" She glared at the clipboard in her hands. 

I paused. "Um, Stacey." I glanced at Max. "Smith. Stacey Smith."

"Alright, detention for you to ms. Smith." She rolled her eyes. "I'll see you two after class."

Max nodded, then looked at me, smirking.

"Alright, class." The woman began. She walked back to the front of the room, her heels clicking on the floor. "Everyone, this week's assignment was to create a diorama of your house, and present it to the class with three key factors along with it." She glared directly at Max when she noticed us looking at each other again. "Half the class will go today, and half tomorrow." She explained. "Going first is Audrey Banks."

A tan girl with chin-length hair stood up with a shoebox in her hand. She quietly walked to the front of the room.

"Wanna skate to my house after this?" Max whispered. "We can get the costumes and go somewhere."

"Where?"

"I don't know. Can you skate on hills?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. You up for it?"

"Sure." I paused. "What about detention? And Steve?"

"Eh, they'll be fine." She muttered. "How long does it take to put those on?" She nodded to the roller skates on my bag.

"Uh, about two minutes. I've gotta lace 'em."

"Alright." She paused to think. "Uh, put them on before the bell rings?"

"I don't know, can you skate in the halls?"

"No." She laughed. "But who cares? I'll drag you on wheels if it's necessary."

"Oh?"

"Just go right down the halls, you could see over the crowd." She put a hand horizontally above her head. "You're probably super tall on those."