14: Sleep

Unlike the title says, no, I did not sleep that night.

Steve and I stayed up trying to count the money. We had $872 in total. That would be enough for probably fifteen nights in a hotel. Fifteen fucking nights.

We finally gave up at seven, and Steve started his route to pick everyone up.

First, we got Max. I climbed in the backseat with her and slept on her shoulder. I woke up every time the car stopped but somehow managed to fall back asleep every time. Steve somehow was perfectly fine.

Then we got Dustin, and then Mike. Finally, Lucas, and then we were dropped off at the high school. 

I slept through the entire day. The entire fucking day. Every single teacher's class I fell asleep in told me I was exactly like Steve.

I would agree, then fall back asleep on my desk.

Finally, it was the end of the day. I had my last class with Max.

The boys all went to the AV club room, which was right next to Mr. Clarke's. Will showed up when we did.

Max and I weren't allowed in, so we were stuck sitting in the hallway.

"This is stupid," Max grumbled.

I nodded, half asleep.

"Can we come in yet?!" She shouted. 

"No!" Dustin shouted, voice muffled.

"Ugh!" She punched the door, rattling it on its hinges. That woke me up. She glanced at me. "Sorry."

"It's fine."

"Hey, what happened?" She asked. "You were asleep almost all day."

"I know," I replied. "I didn't sleep last night."

"Why?"

"Do you really wanna know?"

"Sure." She turned, crossing her arms.

"Alright." I rolled my eyes. "Steve didn't get to Mike's until one AM. And the last time someone was late to come home, it was my stepmom. And turned out she was dead. So then I was convinced Steve was dead."

She frowned. "What happened?"

"Some stuff. Mainly, someone got called trumpet fingers and he fought the guy about it?" I shrugged. "Then, we went back to the house and turns out he's also in on the demogorgan thing, so he had this rusty bat with nails in it. And then our dad was an ass-"

"Wait he had physical evidence?" She asked.

"Yeah, apparently. And I met Hopper, and apparently, he's in on it too."

"Who's Hopper?"

"The police chief. You see, we ran out of the house, and I was driving, but I can't drive, so we were going really fast and got pulled over. And I was friends with his daughter as a kid, so he let us go, and he must have been insane or something, because he said he's got a kid at home. But, his daughter, Sarah, the one I was friends with, is actually dead. So I don't know what happened there-"

A very loud crash came from inside the room.

"What the hell?" Max stood up and opened the door.

"NO!" Dustin shouted.

I climbed to my feet, blinking as I saw a blob fall out from the door. I watched it turn the hall corner, then disappear.

"Max!" Lucas shouted.

"What the hell was that?!" She exclaimed.

"What the fuck?" I added.

"Find him!" Dustin shoved me out of the way, pushing me onto the floor.