54: Suspect?

"Chrissy Cunningham?" Dustin asked, pacing. "You're sure it was Chrissy?"

"Yes, she was in her cheerleader outfit, the same thing she was in when I saw her with Eddie," Max assured him.

"And you're sure it was her when you saw her with Eddie?" He asked.

"I saw it too," I muttered, sitting on the edge of his bed. "They were coming out of his van."

He sighed. "Did you guys tell the cops?"

"No, no, but we can't be the only ones that saw them." She continued. "I mean, they stood out."

"Eddie the freak with Chrissy the cheerleader?" Dustin said.

"Exactly," I replied. "He's not in the papers yet, or on the news. But he's definitely suspect number fucking one." 

"No, that's crazy!" Dustin exclaimed. "Eddie would never do something like this. No way."

"Well we can't rule it ou-"

"Yes, we can. No way!" Dustin said.

"Dustin, you don't live near him, you don't know how loud he blasts his music all night." I groaned.

"What does his music have to do with anything?"

"I dunno, maybe he's murdering people while he blasts it?" I shrugged. "I dunno if he did it or not."

"Well he wouldn't," Dustin assured. "He couldn't."

"Dustin!" Max said.

"You don't know him like I do, Max." He continued. "Okay? When we got to high school, Lucas made all his sports friends, but Mike and me? I mean, no one was nice to us. No one. You had Daisy, but we had no one. But you know who was nice to us? Eddie."

"Okay, well, they said the same shit about Ted Bundy." She muttered. "Yeah, he's a super nice guy, and then he's murdering women on the weekends."

"So you're saying Eddie is like Ted Bundy?"

"Jesus, stop it." I groaned. "Just agree to disagree, or whatever. We'll find out soon enough."

"No, I'm just saying we can't presume anything, okay?" Max added. "But it doesn't look good for Eddie!"

Dustin held up his hands and flopped on his bed, next to me. "Why didn't you tell any of the cops about that?"

Max nodded, pulling out his swivel chair and taking a seat. "After I saw Eddie and Chrissy go in his trailer, something else happened."

"What?" I asked, leaning closer. "What do you mean?"

She took a deep breath. "The power got messed up for a bit like the lights were flickering, and the tv went out. That's normal though, the power always goes out at our place."

"Yeah, the tape stopped," I added. "Steve was trying to watch the Breakfast Club."

Max nodded. "Yeah, the lights went all flickery. It's shitty."

I nodded.

"And then?" Dustin asked.

"I heard him screaming." She continued. "No words just a scream as he ran to his van. He drove horribly out of there, and he didn't come back. I would've heard it if he did."

"I only heard him screeching before the power," I said.

"You were watching a movie, right?"

"Steve was, I was in my room, the one closest to Eddie's," I explained, fiddling with my backpack. "And then, I guess I was near the tv and didn't hear it? And I didn't hear him leave."