30: Dumped

El and Max wandered around for a while before they came back and found me. I was asleep at the table, while Steve and Dustin were working on some dumb tape recording.

Robin opened the sliding window, waking me up at the same time.

"Tiny Harrington!" She called.

I looked up.

"You have visitors." She smirked, shutting it.

They were waiting on the customer side of the counter. Max said she needed to find a new set of trucks for her skateboard before we got ice cream. We went to a little shop on the second floor, called Stewarts Skate Shop.

"Whoa," I muttered. For the first time, I actually enjoyed the bright colors in the store. All the shiny new skateboard decks reflected the LED lighting. The graphics were all bright, much better looking than Max's board, and they had no scratches on them.

El found a bench and sat down on it, her many clothing bags resting on the floor. It was funny, the 80s fashion wave was just hitting Hawkins. Max and I were already a bit ahead, having moved from big cities before, but Eleven still dressed in flannels way too big for her, and mis-matched socks.

Max found her trucks pretty quickly. They were small metal things, the pieces that hold the wheels on the board. I think I was admiring the boards a little too much, because she walked over and said;

"So, you wanna learn now?"

"What?" I looked away from the one I'd been staring at, finding her eyes.

"Are you gonna get one? I could teach you." She shrugged, picking up the one I had my eyes on. It was green, with a strange face on it, and bulging eyes.

"Oh." I flipped it over, staring at it. I've always thought she was so cool when she was skating. She could go a lot faster than I did on my roller skates, and she didn't get tired anywhere near as easy. And her tricks were super cool.

"It's only twenty dollars." She said, checking the tag. "You should get it."

"Really?"

"Do you wanna learn?"

"It would be so cool."

"Great." She grinned. "Buy it, I'll teach you, and then you can bet the boys you can skateboard, and then you win ten dollars from each of them, and boom, profit. Plus, you could learn to look cool, and the guys deserve it."

"Wow, that was a lot of words."

I bought the skateboard in the end. Max helped me figure out everything else to get, and I got a little skate-tool that I could keep in my pocket.

I did kind of have to abandon my roller skates over the past year. There was a lot of random running I was glad I wasn't on wheels for, and changing my shoes took forever. To be honest, I was looking forwards to something for the first time in a very long time.

We made out way back to Scoops, my new skateboard tucked under one arm. Steve just rolled his eyes when he saw it, and took El's order.

"Should you even be here?" He asked. She and Max just giggled.

Robin handed me my usual when I walked out, as I left two dollars on the counter.

"Thanks," I said.

"You know it was only one-fifty-"

I nodded, following Max and El to the double doors.

And just our luck, we run into the boys we've been trying to avoid all day.

"Isn't this a nice surprise?" Max crossed her arms, walking towards the three boys.

I don't even remember what happened. El dumped Mike or something, and she and El left on the bus. Max said she would explain why I stayed to El. It was just so I could go back to Mike's basement and crash on his couch again.

I don't know what happened, or why they're mad at Mike. They've got a few reasons though. He's kind of an asshole now, and he lied about something, and he needed some kind of medicine? I don't know.

I rode on the back of Will's bike. He was the strongest out of the group, both mentally and physically. I mean, he was literally possessed last year, and now he's just following around two idiots who don't want to play dnd. Like seriously, I'm about to make a character and force the girls to play with Will.