56: Sleepover

y'all please keep in mind the kids are 16 now

Steve brought everyone home after that, excluding Eddie, who stayed at the cabin.

Once it was just Max, me, and Steve in the car, she started talking.

"Um, guys?" She whispered.

Steve turned around immediately while driving. "What's wrong?"

I glanced at her. Her hands were shaking, and she was a little pale.

"Can I stay with you guys tonight? It's just- My mom, she doesn't know. And I get- I get nightmares, and I think-"

"Don't explain yourself." Steve cut her off. "You're always welcome."

"Yeah, you can sleep on the couch, or in my room, like a sleepover." I smiled. I hadn't slept in the same room as Max since last summer when we slept over at Mike's.

"Thanks." She nodded. "I just need to stop for a few things at my place."

He nodded, stopping and rolling down his window to speak with the officers outside the trailer park.

"Sir you are aware the curfew was at dark, right?" He asked.

"I'm sorry, I had to pick up my sister and her friend," Steve replied. "I'm bringing Daisy Harrington and Max Mayfield back. I'm Steve Harrington."

The man looked through the window at us, then nodded. "Mr. Harrignton, the curfew is dark. Be back before then next time."

"Will do, sir." He smiled, driving down the road to Max's place first.

"So what do you need?" Steve asked.

"Just a change of clothes and stuff." She muttered, opening the door. "Daisy, will you come with me?"

"Yeah, sure." I pulled the knife out of my pocket, following her inside.

It was unlocked, and her mother was passed out on the living room couch. She walked back to her bedroom, filling her backpack with a few things from her dresser and a few toiletry items.

"Sorry, I'm just paranoid." She said.

"I'm sure nothing like that will happen to you," I assured her, watching her pull a blue jacket from her closet.

"Yeah." She zipped the bag shut, slinging it over one shoulder. Then, she crouched down and opened her bottom drawer, pulling out the handgun we'd stolen last year. She added a box of bullets to her bag, placing the gun in a pocket safely hidden.

"Why are you bringing a gun?" I whispered.

"Just in case anything happens."

Steve had driven back to our trailer but walked over with the bat and my crowbar. I took it, smearing a bit of blood on the handle. I'd wrapped grippy tape around the flat end months ago, so I wouldn't rip up my hands when I used it again.

We walked back in silence, Steve unlocking it and locking it behind us. He went grabbed a slice of week-old pizza from the fridge and immediately passed out on the couch, bat still in hand.

"I guess the couch isn't an option," I muttered.

She shrugged, walking to my room. "Can we share a bed?"

"Yeah."

She dropped her bag on the ground, and I leaned my crowbar against the wall. We got ready for bed, changing into pajamas. I wore shorts and a large t-shirt, just putting a band-aid over my neck. It wasn't bad, just one of those cuts that sting because it's tiny. Max had on a t-shirt dress, the same one she'd been wearing this morning.

We sat on my bed, all the blankets Steve wasn't using piled on top of us. It was freezing. I was just fiddling with my thumbs, waiting to find something to talk about.

"Daisy," Max whispered.

"Yeah?" I glanced at her. She was staring at her knees.

"Do you remember, last summer? At the mall?"

"What part?"

She froze, taking a deep breath. "Uh, the night. With the, y'know."

"The Mind Flayer," I muttered.

"Do you remember, when we were hiding? Behind the Scoops counter?"

I slowly nodded, glancing at her. She hadn't moved. "When I dropped the radio?"

"No-" She groaned, sinking deeper into the mattress. "No, when I-when we-"

I watched her cheeks turn a much darker red than they were before. My stomach flipped.

"When we kissed," I answered, scooching down to meet her eyes.

She nodded, covering her face.

I nodded as well, waiting for her to elaborate.

She didn't.

"I'm over it if that's what you're wondering."

She uncovered her face. "You're over it?"

No, I'm not.

I didn't know how to reply, so I just stayed silent.

"You're over it, Daisy?" She asked. "How are you over it?"

She had propped herself up on her shoulder, staring at me.

"I kissed you." She continued. "I kissed you, and you kissed back. Do you know what that means?"

She wasn't on her shoulder or her elbow. She had one arm fully unbent, supporting her torso. Her hair was down, falling like a waterfall around her shoulders, red, and shiny as copper.

"Daisy." She said. "Please, say something."

I watched her mouth as she spoke, her lips much darker in the bad lighting. They were slightly dry, and a little cracked because of it. But she looked fucking beautiful. Her freckles, though less prominent now, were bright spots thanks to the warm light. It reflected off her skin, lighting up part of her face. I could see her perfectly. She was leaning over me now, staring into my eyes.

"Daisy, please, I'm sorry for bringing it up I just-" She took a deep breath. "I just, wanted to know your opinions, because I literally can't get it out of my mind, and it's bothering me a lot, and I think-"

I leaned forwards, kissing her lips softly while she was above me.

She didn't reply. 

"Holy shit Max I-"

She cut me off, locking her lips with mine. I inhaled briefly, seemingly forgetting how to breathe.

I wrapped my hands around the back of her neck, pulling her closer. She shuffled closer, drawing my chin up with her hand under my jaw.

I pulled away, panting. "Are you sure-"

"Yes," She breathed, pulling me back in.

She let out a soft sigh, breathing into my mouth.

Max wrapped her arms around my waist, pulling me toward her. She pulled away for just a moment to lay back on my bed before I climbed next to her, placing one hand on the side of her head, and the other on the mattress by her waist.

She grabbed my face, pulling me down to hers, and kissing me yet again. I opened my mouth, allowing myself to slip my tongue into hers. I felt her smile, panting a bit.

Her arms traveled to my back, going higher and higher under she had herself wrapped around my arms. I dropped to my elbows pressing into the mattress, trying to eliminate as much space as possible.

My heart was pounding-I was sure she could hear it. It was racing as well, and the butterflies in my stomach were going fucking haywire. I could barely breathe, let alone think.

Because holy fucking shit I'm kissing Max Mayfield. I'm kissing Max Mayfield. 

"I'm really hungry what do you guys want for din-" Steve stood in my doorway, one hand on the door handle, the other covering his mouth. "OH SHI-"