31: More Sleep

As soon as we got to Mike's I crashed on the couch. It was amazing how terrible sleep you get when you haven't slept in a real bed for nine months.

I was probably snoring the entire time I slept, but who cares. They're boys.

"Yeah, we're trying to solve the great mystery of the female species!" Mike complained. He burped, very loud, I might add. 

I squinted, blinking my eyes open. He was lying on the other couch dramatically, a bag of chips on his chest.

"Dude, you can smell the nacho cheese." Mike chuckled, blowing his breath at Lucas.

Will groaned. He was standing by their dnd board, the pieces all set up.

"I got that beat," Lucas said.

"What?"

"No-!" Will groaned.

"No Lucas no-"

"No-"

"Lucas! Lucas no!"

Lucas smirked, leaning over the side of the couch and farting. I immediately covered my mouth because holy shit that was disgusting. The smell hit me immediately, both the nacho cheese and the fart.

"That's gross!" Will groaned. "And quiet, you're gonna wake up Daisy."

"Ugh." Mike covered his nose and rolled over to look at me. 

Lucas and Will leaned around the wall, checking on me.

"Hey." I pulled my hand out from under the blanket and waved.

"Oh my god-" Will scoffed. 

"Shit." Mike laughed. "Sorry."

"You should be, I can fucking smell everything," I muttered.

He rolled his eyes and took another chip. "Why are you here, and not with the girls?"

"Because I needed to sleep."

"Just sleep at your own house for once," Lucas said.

"She can't," Mike added. "Anyways, we were gonna order a pizza for dinner, do you care what it is?"

"No." I rubbed my eyes again. I'd gotten enough sleep to focus, for the first time in a few days. It was nice.

"Why can't you sleep at your own house?" Lucas asked, not leaving the couch.

"I have my reasons."

"Yeah, but what are they?"

"None of your business Lucas, Jesus." I groaned, rolling over on the couch. Maybe I didn't get enough sleep, because I should've remembered what would happen. I hit the floor, not even caring to get up.

"Are you okay?" Will asked.

"Nope."

I kinda just hung out in the back after that. They turned on the smiths, and I fell asleep again. It felt like I was finally getting enough sleep to actually wake up. 

Will woke everyone up blasting music, claiming to be wise or something. Then the villagers were on fire. I still don't know if it was a dream or not.

Soon enough, Mike and Will got in a massive fight. I followed Lucas outside, but Will was already gone. Mike was panicking, and it was pouring outside.

"What the shit happened?" I asked over the rain.

Mike looked like he was about to cry. "Will ran off. Come on, Lucas, we're getting him." He turned back toward the garage walls, where five rain coats were lined up on hooks, including Lucas and Will's on a shelf from earlier.

"Woah, what?" Lucas said. "In this weather?"

"Yes, get your coat on." He tossed Lucas his, pulling it off the hook.

"What, what do I do?" I asked, following him to his bike.

"Just, stay here," Mike muttered. "This is between me and Will."

"But Lucas is going."

He groaned. "Daisy, you don't know Will, okay? This is an important thing."

"I want to help," Will said he told Mike and Lucas. I don't think they know I know.

"Daisy, you can help Will later." Lucas grabbed his bike. 

"Yeah, if you want to do something, go find Max." Mike scoffed. "You guys are best friends anyways."

"How am I supposed to get there?"

"Nancy's bike is the purple one, and her jacket is the middle hook." Mike waved his hand in the direction of the bikes leaned against the wall. "You'd know more about where Max is than me."

"Seriously?" I asked."

"Yes." He pulled his hood over his hair and climbed on his bike. "Meet us back here tonight."

"Fine." I grabbed the yellow raincoat and put it on, grabbing the purple bike from the stack. The boys were already gone, so I climbed on Nancy's bike and prepared myself for the rain. 

I biked to Max's house, thinking she would've been at home with the rain. The skies were dark and gloomy, and the rain was thundering on my hood. My bare arms were freezing, and my shoes soaked through. My shorts were covered by the bike, thankfully.

I got to Max's, leaving the bike on the lawn and going up to the door.

I knocked twice before someone answered.

"Daisy?" Max swung the door open all the way, frowning. "What are you doing here?"

"I came looking for you. Some shit went down with Will-" I stopped when El stepped out from behind Max. She was wearing a red coat, way too big for her. It was probably Hopper's.

"Yeah, shit went down over here too." She muttered. "We heard the whole species thing, but El said you were asleep."

"What?" I could barely hear her over the rain. Their house didn't have a roof above the front door, so I was still getting rained on while we talked.

"Come inside, Christ." She grabbed my arm and pulled me in, slamming the door shut. "Holy shit."

I unbuttoned the coat and pulled it off. It was fucking cold.

Max scoffed, running to her room and returning with a sweater. "So, what happened with you?'

"We already know we are a different species," El added. "And Lucas farted."

"How do you know that?"

"She can travel in her mind." Max grinned. "It's so cool."

"Sorry?"

"Later." Eleven interrupted. "Billy was with a girl. And she was screaming. Max said they were happy screams-"

"Happy screams?" I raised my eyebrows, staring at Max. Her sweater was still in my hands, I'd forgotten to put it on.

"Basically we found this." Max held up a small fanny pack, one of the lifeguards at the pools. "My brother might've murdered someone or something."

"Oh." I nodded. "Fun."

"Right?" She laughed.

"How is that fun?" El asked.

"Sarcasm." Max patted her shoulder. They were the same height, both half a foot shorter than me.

She nodded.

"Anyways, we were just going to the pool when you showed up," Max explained.

"Oh, can I come?"

"Yeah. Put on the sweater though, because your lips are turning blue."

"They are purple." Eleven pointed out.

"Even better." I pulled the sweater on. It did fit, just a little tight around my top. "Thanks."

"Yeah." She handed me my jacket, putting her's on. "How'd yo get here? Mike's house is kinda a far walk."

"Nancy's bike."

"Oh."