48: Never Ending Story

Our lips slammed against each other. For a split second, it was pure bliss. The butterflies in my stomach were back, and all our problems went away. I kissed her back, though not having enough time to hold her face.

The roaring came back, much louder.

I pulled away, panting, either from fear, shock, are pure amazement.

The Mind Flayer was close. Really close. I could see its reflection in the metal. It was hovering over the counter, with just one look down it would see us.

It screeched again, stopping as a balloon popped on the other side of the mall.

"Go through the gap!" Jonathan's voice was the loudest, drawing the most attention. The monster screeched again, turning back to us.

I scrambled to my feet, grabbed Max, and ran into the back of Scoops. Will and Mike were close behind, Will stuffing the walkie in my bag as we ran to the back halls.

I went first, throwing the door open. It hit the back wall with a loud bang. 

"Go!" Nancy shouted, sprinting at us While Jonathan carried El. They were running from the Gap door.

"Shit!" I screamed, leaving the door and sprinting to the end of the hall. I crashed into the double doors, holding one open. Max got the other and everyone streamed out into the cold night air.

We ran to the car still parked in front of the mall, the Mind Flayer crashing around inside. Jonathan set El down, immediately going to the hood of the car. 

The engine revved again, and I finally identified the dark car. It was the same blue chevy Max drove last year. Billy.

"He's still here?!" I panicked, grabbing my crowbar. 

Nancy tossed Max her gun, standing in front of the car. 

"I don't know how to shoot a gun!" Max exclaimed.

"Turn the safety off, hold it with two hands, and point it at him. Then shoot him." She directed, turning the safety off. "Everyone get out of the way!"

"Shit!" Lucas screeched, climbing in. I opened the trunk, still frozen from the sigh of Max holding a gun. 

She was crying, shaky arms pointing the gun at her brother. But she looked fucking awesome.

"Get in!" Mike shouted, putting El between Lucas and him.

"Get in the car!" Jonathan added, turning on the engine. It stalled, just like before.

Even shots rang out in the dark, Nancy firing directly at Billy.

His tires screeched, and ran straight at us, full speed.

"Shit!" Lucas repeated, hitting the side of the car. "Go go go!"

"I'm trying!" Jonathan shouted. 

"Daisy and Max get in the fucking car!" Nancy said. 

"I can't shoot him-" Max trembled, lowering the gun. 

"Give it to me." I took it, putting the crowbar in her hands. 

"Daisy-"

I checked the safety, only knowing about guns from a few episodes of Miami Vice.

"Jesus Christ-" 

The car was halfway here already. I didn't focus on aiming, just shooting. A round fired, almost snapping my arm from the kickback. I bent them, pointing at the car and firing again. And again. 

And it didn't fucking stop. I started panicking but stood my ground next to Nancy. 

It couldn't have been fifteen feet when I ran out of bullets, firing off the ten loaded in less than five seconds. I pushed Max out of the way, collapsing on top her when the most horrifying metallic screech sounded.