chapter one

madelyn and maxine mayfield: the two redhead sisters who moved from california all the way to the so-called "cursed" town of hawkins, indiana, with the company of their shit-head stepbrother, absent mother and abusive stepfather

madelyn and maxine mayfield: the two redhead sisters who moved from california all the way to the so-called "cursed" town of hawkins, indiana, with the company of their shit-head stepbrother, absent mother and abusive stepfather. what could possibly go wrong?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"c'mon max, you know he'll make you skate if you're not out there!" madelyn yelled through her sister's door, knocking repeatedly.

"i'll be one minute i promise!"

madelyn turned on her heels, leaving max to gather her things before walking back to her own room and grabbing her backpack. she'd always hated changes, fresh starts and new places—besides, it's not like she'd ever really had a place to call home. after carefully putting her notebooks inside her bag along with her walkman and headphones, she was finally ready. well, physically ready. emotionally...maybe not.

coincidentally, billy starting beeping the car outside, letting the two sisters know he wasn't happy about them taking their time. max finally opened her door, walking out in her usual red zip-up, jeans and vans combo.

"hurry up!" madelyn yelled as she walked past, picking up her key on the way out. max followed quickly behind her with her board in one hand and her bag in the other as she let the front door shut behind her.

"yeah thanks for taking your time shit-heads."

he didn't get a response from either of the two girls as they plugged in their seatbelts and waited for him to speed off. as usual, billy was quick to turn up the radio onto full blast, almost slamming his head on the wheel to the beat of the music. ignoring his antics, madelyn simply pulled out her walkman and listened to her own music instead, counting down the minutes until they'd arrive at school and she'd be freed of his company.

billy had never liked madelyn. but she'd never liked him either. she only tolerated him for the sake of max, who'd get the brunt of his abuse otherwise; it wasn't hard to figure out where billy's aggression came from once the girls moved in with him and his stepfather. every night it got worse. susan—madelyn and max's mom—or billy could do the smallest thing to annoy neil and he'd go ballistic, punching every object in sight. after a while though, his anger progressed and soon enough he began punching billy or susan instead. he'd even tried to hurt madelyn once, but she was able to leave and stay at her friends' house instead.

however, now they were in hawkins. madelyn didn't have any friends she could go to now to hide from neil, and neither did max. that's why madelyn hated the change so much: she wasn't moving away from the trauma of her past but instead moving with him.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"both be here at 2:30. any later and you're dead, you hear me?"

the two mayfields replied in unison, "loud and clear."

as soon as he unlocked the doors, max jumped straight out and began to skate towards the lower car park of the middle school. madelyn only hoped she'd be okay. max was a strong kid but moving is always hard, especially at such a young age.

meanwhile, madelyn stepped out into the car park and suddenly felt everyone's heads turning to look in her direction. except, they weren't looking at her whatsoever. everyone was staring at billy as he locked his car and practically strutted towards the first group of girls he could find. madelyn just rolled her eyes and walked away, completely unbothered by his usual "peacocking" as she called it.

after finding her locker, a brunette girl walked over towards her, a wide smile across her face.
"hi, you're madelyn right? i'm nancy, nice to meet you." she held out her hand and madelyn shook it, unsure what to make of the situation but accepting the company none the less.

"yeah, its madelyn, but i prefer maddie though. nice to meet you too."

nancy nodded her head in response, still smiling up at the girl. "sorry. ive been told to tour you around since your new and all, so would you like to follow me?"

despite hating being treated as the "'new girl", maddie recognised the fact that it would be best to have one tour at least, just to see where her classes are. she smiled at nancy as she answered back.

"sure, why not."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"...and finally, this is the gymnasium. early morning basketball practice going on, so, excuse the noise."

maddie cast her eyes upon the game, intently watching as one boy had play of the ball way more than the others. each time he had it in his grasp, he'd work it up to the net and drop it in easily.

"who's that?" she asked nancy, pointing out the boy with fluffy curled hair and beads of sweat upon his forehead.

she could practically feel nancy blushing as she answered her question, and her stomach instantly dropped.

"oh...that's steve harrington, my boyfriend. he's known as the "king" of hawkins high, and sometimes even steve "the hair" harrington.", she laughed.

maddie nervously laughed in response, "oh yeah. i see that." trust her to find someone attractive on her first day at school, just for them to be in a relationship with the only person she knew.

"anyways, got to get to class but i'll see you later, okay?" nancy smiled, holding her books in her arms as she began to walk away.

"yeah, oh and thankyou nancy. for the tour."

nancy nodded back at the girl, smiling as she walked out of the gym. maddie forgot she had to get to class too, and quickly rushed to grab her bag from the benches. just as she threw it over her shoulder and began to walk towards the door, she got a strange feeling, like she was being watched. sure enough, as she glanced over her shoulder, "king" steve stood there, looking over at her with an expression she just couldn't figure out. before madelyn could say anything, he just turned and walked out.

'okay..that wasn't weird at all....' she thought to herself as she left the gym and headed towards first period.