chapter eleven

maddie and steve had spent the last ten minutes helping nancy and johnathan to conceal the inside of the byers' shed, as part of their plan to find out how to kill the 'mindflayer'

surprisingly, it hadn't been awkward between the four of them: nancy had noticed the way steve looked at maddie, in a more meaningful way than he'd ever looked at her—yet she wasn't saddened by it. and for steve, he'd seen the way johnathan interacted with nance. he'd always known that he had a thing for her, but she now seemed to express the same feelings back.

so despite not saying a word, nancy and steve understood one another, and were perfectly fine with letting the other one go.

"steve, can you help me reach this last part? i just can't stick the tarp down with one hand and balance on the stool with the other—" maddie asked him, reaching up towards the roof of the shed.

"yeah, yeah, here let me help you." he responded, resting his hand on the small of her back as she reached up to stick the last of the tarp down onto the roof. she almost lost her balance when she secured the last part, but luckily steve's other hand found her waist and held her in place to prevent the fall.

"done. thankyou." she told steve, stepping down from the stool to meet his eyes.

he nodded at her slightly, before noticing he still had a hand on her waist, to which he quickly let go, not wanting to overstep the line between them.

suddenly, interrupting their moment, lucas ran into the shed with a chair, followed by max who held some sort of plastic wiring; together, they tied the chair legs to a pole in the centre of the shed, which maddie had assumed could only be meant for will.

she'd just hoped they'd be able to find out how to stop it all soon; before it was too late.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"what happened?" maddie asked as hopper stormed through the front door, grabbing a pen and a scrap of paper on his way over to the table.

everyone gathered around, watching as he began to write symbols and lines upon the page. "i think he's talking, just not with words."

"wait, what is that?" steve asked, looking down at the combination of dots and dashes scrawled across the slip of paper.

"morse code..." all the boys replied in unison, remembering when they'd all learned it, along with will, in mr.clarke's class last summer.

"H-E-R-E." hop spelled out, writing each letter beneath the combination. "will's still in there. he's talking to us."

hopper, joyce, johnathan and mike then headed back into the shed, taking johnathan's cassette player with him in hopes that they be able to connect further with will through his memories associated with music.