chapter twenty-five

peering out from the door, checking both left and right were clear of any russian-looking guards, dustin finally gave the all-clear

peering out from the door, checking both left and right were clear of any russian-looking guards, dustin finally gave the all-clear. "let's go."

the five of them quickly slipped out from the safety of the door and attempted to blend into the crowd of people exiting the movie theatre.

"well, shit, that worked." erica laughed, looking at dustin's expression of disbelief.

"of course it worked." he shot back, defensive of the fact that it was his idea to 'blend' in that way.

the two continued to bicker amongst one another with robin chirping in for the occasional word. taking the opportunity, steve connected his hand with maddie's, intertwining their fingers together. "hey, you okay? i was really worried about you down there, even whilst mighty high on drugs." steve laughed, rubbing his thumb in a circle on the back of her hand.

she lightly smiled back at the drugs comment, but genuinely appreciated his concern for her. "i'm okay, promise. i was more worried about you than anything. seriously, you took a beating."

"only because i was tied up! i swear i would've beat him otherwise." he laughed again, enjoying the moment between them. "my eye does sting though, really bad actually."

"yeah, i bet." maddie said, attempting to hide her concern for him. "as soon as we can, you need to get some ice or something on it."

"yeah, yeah, i know." he paused, still walking hand-in-hand. "it's kinda cute, you know, seeing you be all worried about me—"

"hey! shut up!" she laughed, lightly shoving him in the arm. as the couple began to laugh once again, they were suddenly interrupted by the trio in front of them abruptly stopping.

"guys..." robin uttered, staring straight ahead at the man dressed in full black, just as he turned to make direct eye contact with them. "abort!"

quickly, the five of them turned on their heels and began to run back in the opposite direction. steve still held maddie tightly by the hand, dragging her along with him as he ran.

"shit! come on, let's go!" steve yelled, practically shoving erica down the 'slide' on the escalators before helping maddie down. "quick!"

"i'm going!" maddie yelled back, the panic rising within her. the russians were closing in tightly in them, and it was only a matter of time until they would be found.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

maddie's hands were trembling as she heard the footsteps approaching and the crackling sounds of the walkie-talkie. steve looked down to see her shaking and took her hand in his, holding it tightly and bringing up to his face to kiss it gently.

"i love you." he mouthed to her, his eyes full of nothing but pure adoration. she smiled back at him, looking down at their entwined hands. "i love you too." she returned with full honesty.