chapter six

madelyn finally arrived at the wheeler's residence after walking for 20 minutes, since she didn't want billy to give her a ride and see her with steve

madelyn finally arrived at the wheeler's residence after walking for 20 minutes, since she didn't want billy to give her a ride and see her with steve. she'd spent the majority of her walk listening to 'call me' by blondie on a loop; it had been her favourite song since she turned 15 and was gifted her walkman by her mom.

just as she reached the wheeler's drive, she noticed a young boy practically hammering on their door. she'd vaguely recognised him as one of the boys max had been speaking to from school. madelyn watched as ted, nancy's father, came to the door, as miserable as ever, telling him to go away.

she'd decided to wait at the top of the drive for steve to arrive, rather than go in on her own. at that moment, the boy got the door shut in his face, and he began to walk towards her, disappointed but also somewhat angry. as he looked up from the floor and saw her stood there, his eyes widened as if she were some sort of celebrity.

"hi! you're, uh, you're...maddie! maddie mayfield! max's sister!"

she laughed to herself as the boy smiled, overly excited about the fact that he remembered her name.  she took her headphones off and put them back into her jean pocket, along with her walkman. "yeah, yeah, i am! and you are?"

"oh, sorry, dustin. dustin henderson." he smiled, putting his hand out for her to shake. she laughed under her breath, shaking dustin's hand. he stood there smiling to himself after she'd let go, before picking up his bike from the floor. "i'm one of your sister's friends! well, i would say im actually her favourite but-"

suddenly, he dropped the bike  as he watched steve's car pulled up on the sidewalk, and he instantly began to walk over to his car. she'd turned to watch him, and her heart dropped suddenly as steve stepped out from the drivers seat, holding a bunch of roses in his hand. fucking great.

"i love you, i'm sorry...what the hell am i sorry for?" he murmured under his breath, running a hand through his hair.

madelyn stood there awkwardly, watching as steve contemplated whether or not to go in. thankfully, dustin reached him and began to patronise him, which made maddie smile. she'd taken a liking to dustin: if max had befriended him by choice, he must be a damn good friend.

"steve. are those for mr or mrs wheeler?" dustin asked steve, pointing to the roses in his hand.

"no?"

"good." dustin added, snatching them out of steve's hand and throwing them to madelyn instead, smiling at her before walking towards steve's car.

"hey! hey! what the hell!"

"nancy isn't home." he yelled back.

"well where is she?" steve asked, finally looking over at maddie who was admiring the roses, although they weren't originally for her. his heart sunk watching her, realising how stupid he'd been to ask her to come with him to rekindle his ex-relationship.