chapter twenty-three

maddie cried out as the russian threw her onto the cold floor before tossing robin beside her

maddie cried out as the russian threw her onto the cold floor before tossing robin beside her. just as she scrambled towards the door, another guard walked in and slammed it shut behind him.

"who do you work for?" one of the guards spat in maddie's face, his russian accent sending chills down her spine.

"scoops," she told him, pausing to catch her breath, "scoops ahoy."

"liar." he spat once again, pointing to one of his comrades. suddenly, robin cried out as her hands were now bound and she was being tied against a chair. maddie attempted to kick against the guard as he grabbed her too, slamming her onto the chair and tying her arms and legs to it.

he slowly walked over to where they were now bound, and this time began to ask robin. "who do you work for?"

"i already told you we work for scoops ahoy!" maddie yelled, feeling the colour drain from her face as a tense silence fell across the room. heavy footsteps approached from behind her until the guard was stood directly in front of her.

just as she lifted her eyes up from the floor to make eye contact, he reached out his hand and slapped her across the cheek, causing maddie to wince instantly.

"who do you work for?" he asked again simply, receiving no reply from the redhead. he nodded his head towards the other guard this time, who stepped forwards and sent a punch into her stomach, causing her to double over in pain.

"listen! we work for scoops ahoy, okay? look at out uniforms!" robin yelled, desperately attempting to get the guard to stop hurting her friend, "you think we're spies in a sailors uniform, huh?"

just as robin finished her statement, the guard sent another punch, this time to maddie's cheek; she instantly cried out, feeling as her skin was pierced by his ring and the blood began to drip down her cheek.

"how did you get in?" the main russian asked, clearly a man of power in the base, as he walked over to robin.

"our delivery didn't come, and my friends and i thought that it was left at the loading dock, so, we went in the room and it turned into an elevator, and...and then we dropped, and then next thing we know, i open my eyes and we're in this...wonderful facility." robin rambled on, gasping for air as she spoke with the fear pulsating across her body, "but i swear to god, nobody knows about us. nobody knows that we're here."

"you could just let us go, all right? we're not gonna tell anybody that we were here." maddie told them over her shoulder.

suddenly, the two russians burst out into laughter at their display of desperation. robin laughed nervously as they looked between each other, almost doubling over in laughter until it suddenly stopped.

leaning down to robin's eye level, all intimidation was back into the russian's tone as he asked her once again. "who do you work for?"

"no, come on!" robin yelled, wincing as the russian guard stepped towards her, punching her straight in the stomach.