chapter four

madelyn had spent the last ten minutes applying layer over layer of concealer in an attempt to hide the clear cut on her face from billy's ring, but had no luck

madelyn had spent the last ten minutes applying layer over layer of concealer in an attempt to hide the clear cut on her face from billy's ring, but had no luck. eventually, she just wiped it off and hoped that nobody would question it. it's not like anybody knew about her home life.

...except for steve harrington, who she'd confided in last night, for a reason she didn't yet know herself. she felt like she could trust him though and didn't think that he would say anything about it. especially not in front of other people.

that was something madelyn had always been right about. if she could only trust one person in her entire life with anything, it would be steve. always.

maddie decided she'd be better off getting the bus to school today, rather than having to put up with billy's bullshit again. "are you okay getting to school?" she asked max as she poured herself some cheerios.

"yeah, im just gonna get a ride from billy." max replied, looking up at her sister's face and seeing the clear cut on her cheek. "wait, mads...did he do that?"

"it's nothing. don't worry about it."

max knew she wouldn't be able to force an answer out of her sister, but had an instinct feeling that it was a result of her stepbrother's abuse. she'd thought that it had stopped, only for him to start acting out again. i hate him, max thought to herself. attempting to drop the subject, she threw her bag over her shoulder and headed towards the front door. "i'll see you later, k?"

"yeah. see you later."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"and then he just didn't turn up this morning-...ive never been late to school with steve picking me up. ever. surely he couldn't have just forgotten?", she paused, thinking to herself for a moment,"i'm just gonna go in there and speak to him about how i really feel. i'm fed up of us arguing all the time."

maddie still didn't know what to do; whether to side with nancy and believe that steve was in the wrong for leaving her like that, or to side with him instead, who she didn't know that well and had only just became friends with. luckily, nancy hadn't said anything about the mark on her face, probably because she was too focused on what could be the end of her relationship to notice.

"yeah. just do what's best for you, nancy."

the duo then reached the gym, where basketball practice was taking place. just as they walked in, maddie watched as her stepbrother knocked steve over, took the basketball straight off him and jumped into the air, dunking it into the net in the most boasting way anyone possibly could.

steve pulled himself up off the floor with a look of disappointment carved across his face, and then quickly turned to face the two girls as nancy called out his name. he began to walk over as nancy walked straight out, leaving madelyn on her own in the corner of the gym. just before he walked past her, he paused to speak to her, but was cut off by nancy shouting "hurry up".