chapter nineteen

after running through the torrential rain back into the mall, the group all reached the same conclusion

"i think we found your evil russians." robin stated, voicing their thoughts. maddie nodded towards her before laughing slightly, watching as steve attempted to wring the water out of his curls.

"yeah, no shit." he muttered, clearly frustrated by the rain ruining his styled hair.

"so, what do we do now?" maddie asked the group, not wanting to come to an end in their investigation. "i mean, we know it's the evil russians, but what are we gonna do about them?"

robin smiled as she turned to face the redhead.

"we're gonna find a way in."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"so, that keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the russian with this keycard also has a massive gun." dustin began, reviewing what he'd seen just minutes ago when he spied from the rooftop. "whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anyone finding it."

maddie nodded, understanding dustin's train of thought. steve, however, sat beside her spinning his hat on his hand whilst, for some reason, holding back a laugh.

"but there's got to be a way in." maddie stated before turning to her boyfriend with a clear look of annoyance. "what's so funny?"

"well, you know..." he paused, dropping his hat onto the table and reaching an arm around maddie's back. "i could just take him out."

"take who out?"

"the russian guard."

maddie instantly pushed his arm off her, scoffing at his arrogance. "what? i sneak up behind him, i knock him out and i take his keycard. it's easy."

"did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" dustin asked him sarcastically, earning a smile from maddie.

"yes, dustin, i did." he stated incredulously. "and that's why i would be sneaking."

laughing back at the older boy, dustin began sarcastically, "well, please tell me this, and be honest; have you ever actually...won a fight?"

instantly, maddie and robin smiled to one another, holding back their laughter as steve suddenly became defensive towards dustin's accusation.

"okay, that was one time—"

"—twice. johnathan, year prior?" dustin corrected, causing steve's expression to falter.