chapter ten

"they didn't believe you did they?" dustin asked hopper, looking up as he put the phone back on the wall; he'd been trying to contact almost anyone to warn them about the dangers they were facing alone, but as expected, nobody had believed him

"we'll see." hopper answered back, looking over at the group of kids sat around the byers' kitchen table.

mike instantly pulled his face in a mix of anger and annoyance at the older man's words. "'we'll see?' we can't just sit here whilst those things are loose!"

"we stay here, and we wait for help." hopper stated before walking out of the room and instead going to find joyce.

madelyn stood against the kitchen counter with her arms folded across her chest, watching as her little sister bickered with mike. she sighed to herself, watching them, but was somewhat relieved at the fact she was doing something normal, child-like, in such a bizarre situation.

steve glanced over at her, attempting to hide the guilt he was feeling. he didn't want her to be caught up in all of this. he'd began to hate the fact that the kids were involved, especially dustin, but it was different with madelyn.

the urge to protect her was holding complete power over him.

suddenly, mike stood up from his chair and walked into the living room, heading over towards the small table in the middle. the group watched as mike picked up the small block, holding it in his hands. "did you guys know that bob was the original founder of hawkins a.v?"

madelyn and steve didn't understand the a.v club, but they had quickly learnt it was important to the youngsters, especially the boys: mike, lucas, will and dustin.

"really?" lucas asked mike, not sure what to think of the conversation since the news of bob's death was so raw, so new to them.

"yeah. he petitioned to the school to start it and everything. then he had a fund-raiser for equipment. mr.clarke learned everything from him." he continued, as he walked over to the table, "pretty awesome, right?"

"yeah." dustin and lucas answered in unison.

mike put the block down on the table before looking up at his friends, before looking over towards madelyn and steve. "we can't let him die in vain."

"well what do you wanna do, mike? the chief's right on this. we can't stop these demo-dogs on our own." dustin snapped back, as maddie's face twisted into one of confusion.

"demo-dogs?"

"demogorgon. dogs." he said, putting his hands together as he continued,"demo-dogs. it's like a compound, you know, a play on words—"

"okay-" she told him, laughing slightly as he continued.

"i mean, when it was just dart, maybe..."

"but there's an army now." lucas added, understanding the immense threat they currently faced.