chapter twenty-one

"this is a code red, i repeat this is a code red!" dustin continued to yell down his walkie as steve and dustin sat on top of the elevator

"this is a code red, i repeat this is a code red!" dustin continued to yell down his walkie as steve and dustin sat on top of the elevator. "we are innocent children and we are trapped under the starcourt mall. the red army has infiltrated hawkins, and if we are found they will torture and kill us—"

"hey!" steve interrupted, quickly cutting him off. "you gotta take it easy on that thing, okay? gonna drain the battery."

"the mall just opened."

"so?"

"so, someone could be in range and they could hear us!"

"what? do you think petey the mall cop is gonna rappel down here and save the day, henderson?" steve asked, pulling himself up onto the roof.

"all right, why are you such a cranky pants after getting to spend all night with your girlfriend?" dustin asked, watching as steve's face contorted into an expression of annoyance.

"shut up, man! jesus christ. will you please just leave our relationship alone already?" he quickly responded, shutting down the conversation before it had even began.

dustin recognised the worry upon steve's face, and he knew it wasn't his usual selfishness either. however they were going to escape, he  knew it couldn't end well.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

suddenly, as robin and maddie were attempting to decode russian once again, a loud banging noise interrupted them. for some reason, erica had decided to try to break one of the green liquid canisters.

"hey! hey! careful! be careful!" maddie yelled, running over to the young girl and instantly grabbing it from her.

"we don't know what that is!" robin told erica, trying to convince her not to drink it.

"exactly! it could be useful!"

"useful how?"

erica scoffed, as if stating the obvious, "we can survive a long time down here without food, but if the human body does not get water, it will die."

"i hate to break it to you, but this, is not water." robin stated back.

"no, but it's a liquid, and if it comes down to me drinking this shit or dying of thirst," erica paused, looking between the two older girls, "i drink."

as robin and erica continued to argue amongst themselves, maddie noticed a whirring coming from one of the walls of the elevator. running over to it quickly and placing her ear against the wall, surely enough, she recognised the sound to be a mechanical whirring.