Stars

(Y/N) POV - 3320 words

It's a fair time past sunset by the time we return to Gon's house. Almost immediately, we're put to work by Mito. Killua and I go set out extra bedding. I, for one, won't be sleeping there. As we're settling the bedding, some energy shifts in the house. It feels like something big is happening, almost like a turning point.

I make an effort not to listen, sensing the information to be something sensitive. As much as I believe information is a weapon... Gon is someone I consider a true, honest friend. Foolish as it is, and if it were almost anyone else, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to know more. Even a single piece of information can mean the difference between life and death, but Gon would tell us if he needed to.

Killua had thrown the comforters every which way haphazardly, leaving me to straighten them out. After doing so, I stretch my arms above my head before taking a quick bathroom break. Somehow, in the short span of time I was gone, the comforters were disheveled again and Killua was lounging on the bed, not asleep, but snoring nonetheless. I assume it means he doesn't want to talk.

With a sigh, I climb out the window. Wasting no time standing there like an idiot, I clamber to the roof and lay down. My dress, cumbersome in its... dress-ness lay spread about me. Perhaps it's past due for a change in wardrobe. This feels too young, though I'm not more than thirteen at this point. Korako and I had amassed a bit of wealth over our time at Heaven's Arena, though I'm not about to ask him to spend any of his portion to buy me clothes. That boy... I hope he's doing well. I suppose I'll find out soon. The date set to meet in York New city is rapidly approaching.

I tilt my head up to the stars passing overhead. I'd been to York New city for jobs before, though never staying for long. It was too large a playground, too volatile. Though I'd dreamed of being feared the world over, there was always some hesitation in the pursuit. Of course, I'd achieved the goal through vicious ruthlessness, it no longer appealed to me. If I were to be forgotten tomorrow, I don't think I'd mind. To fade into history was better than being some household name with a reputation to uphold and constant expectations to meet. My opinion—tainted with too many years of experience—has evolved into the lackluster feeling it is now. Perhaps because of the recent carefree escapade I've set myself upon. 

These thoughts were new. Though the feelings had popped up before, giving them form made them feel tangible, like they were the truth instead of just an idea. 

I blink, coming back to the scenery above me. The stars were gorgeous, a myriad of kaleidoscopic colors. They begin to blur together, spinning and dancing in their own choreography I can't hope to decipher, but enjoy nonetheless.

Gon's enthusiastic voice floats up to me and I get the feeling he's going to be there for a while. Killua must've had the same idea as I hear the comforter move. He makes no noise as always, though I suppose the objects he interacted with didn't get the memo. Rude.

I sit up as the boy himself makes an appearance, only his eyes peeking over the edge of the roof. They scan the area quickly, just barely flicking back and forth. I pat the roof beside me, an invitation. The more time I spend with him, the easier it is to visualize cat ears swiveling atop his head. He leaps up gracefully next to me before sitting down, mimicking the way I have my legs straight out, crossed at the ankles.

"What you stewing about up here?" he asks, a curious tilt to his head.

"I'm just watching the stars," I lower myself back, "thinking of the future."

I can hear him swallow, "What about the future?"

I'm silent for a moment, debating how much to tell him. Just as I resolve to tell him everything he speaks again, "You're still coming with us, right?"