Zevil Island

(Y/N) POV - 1735 words

The boat reaches land after only two hours and the plank is lowered to the ground. No one leaves yet as Khara says, "Thanks for being patient, everyone. We've arrived at Zevil Island! Okay then. You will be disembarking in the order you completed the Third Phase, from the shortest to the longest."

I jump down from the top of the wheelhouse, Killua and Korako right behind me. We go stand next to Gon, Kurapika, and Leorio. There are two minutes between each person, but what's to stop someone from camping at the exit, ambushing everyone as they reach land? There are a lot of different directions we can go, but there's no guarantee someone stronger won't take us out before we even have a chance. 

I guess I shouldn't worry about it since I'm not in danger. I drop the thought and wait my turn. Being the first of our 'group' to finish the Third Phase, I'm first to get off the boat. Korako and I head into the trees and veer left almost immediately, sitting in a bush to await our friend. Kurapika gets off and heads in his own direction and then it's Killua's turn. I grab his arm and pull him down into the bush with me.

"Ow, what the hell was that for?" he curses. I put a finger to my lips to quiet him, pointing. I try my best to convey my feelings without words, There's someone watching us. I don't think it's someone targeting you, I've felt their eyes on me since I left.

Don't completely rule out the possibility they're after me, he replies, catching on, They could've noticed how we spend a lot of time together and are trying to get at you as leverage against me.

I give the equivalent of a derisive snort, Like that'd work

Don't be so sure. We can't hide anything from each other when we talk like this, our expressions doing most of the talking. An emotion I don't quite recognize flashing across his face before he continues, It's not like you can't handle yourself, you're an assassin like me.

I nod, but I'm not sure who he's trying to convince; me or himself. Looking back on it, I think it's a little strange we can communicate without talking to each other and it's almost 100% accurate. I relay as much to Killua.

Maybe it's because we're both trained as assassins, we can pick up on cues most people wouldn't be able to find even if they spent an hour looking, he offers. I think about the time before when we'd spoken like this. The only thing we were doing was staring at each other, nothing more. It's almost like we were reading each other's minds, or saw it in the others' eyes, something cheesy like that. 

Maybe it's a Nen ability, but that can't be right, Killua doesn't know Nen. It's one of the great mysteries of my life, I guess. Perhaps the Hunterpedia will have something about it. My list of things to research is getting longer and longer. Anyway, it's a problem for another day. Right now, we need to figure out who's watching us and why, and how to shake them off our trail. They're after one of our badges so our best bet is to split up and see who they follow. 

Regret and hesitation float from Killua, despite remaining somewhat expressionless. I can read him like an open book. It's okay, I'm not entirely fond of the idea of us splitting up. I'm going to give my tag to Korako, and make sure whoever this is sees me do it. Then, we'll both go different directions. They follow Korako, he gets a free meal. They follow us, we get to kick some ass. Win-win.

Killua smiles and nods, Sounds like a plan

I take my badge out of my pocket and pin it to Korako's fur. I whisper to him, loud enough anyone within a close distance would be able to hear, "Keep this safe for me."

At the last second, I pull the badge back. Korako seems to already know my plan and continues, making sure to act as though nothing's wrong.

What are you doing? Killua asks.