Chapter I - Don't Give A Damn

One second you're watching a video of a little boy showing off his martial arts skills, the next you see him grown up, staring right at you through the screen. To Takemichi Hanagaki and (Y/n) (L/n), it was uncanny that their former commander had snuck in this video tape in the time capsule. Better yet, for the purpose of having the time leaper listening to it.

"To Takemichi, in twelve years..." The fifteen year-old Mikey that they two admired and adored talks in a stoic voice. "I've said plenty in my letter, but there's something that I want to address only to you."

(Y/n) side eyes Takemichi, noticing how focused he was on the small TV screen. Although the video wasn't intended for her vision too, she wanted to listen to hear Mikey out. She anticipates that it might be concerning his current whereabouts and actions.

"When I can't control myself, it is as if there is another me." Mikey makes this explanation as simple as possible for Takemichi. From the looks of it, not even he knows what this problem of his was. "A dark impulsivity." Is how he identifies his internal conflict.

"A dark impulsivity...?" Takemichi repeats, rather confused.

(Y/n) understands on the first go. "Like when he tried to kill Kazutora." She says subconsciously.

Takemichi starts to understand. "That's right..." He shares the possible factors that stabilized Mikey's dark impulses. "What suppressed his impulses could have been his brother...Emma...Baji..."

(Y/n) wonders to herself. 'Is that how it was for me, too? Whenever I was angry, it was under the influence...of my own dark impulses?' She contemplates then and there. 'Looking back at it...'

The video continues, not giving Takemichi and (Y/n) the time to process everything. "I'm scared of who I'll become in twelve years. I'm definitely not pleasant to be around with." Mikey's voice sounds into a sincere one, though there was some hint of fear. "That's why I bid farewell to all the Toman members. You get it, right? I don't want you all to be involved with me. Not even (Y/n)." (Y/n)'s eyes go wide at this statement.

"I..." Mikey travels his eyes down, avoiding contact from the camera that was recording him. "--...already hurt her by forcing her into Toman. I don't want her own darkness to succumb her, because of me..." He goes quiet for a few seconds. "I can't bare any more guilt on my shoulders...I..." Small droplets of sweat were visible on the corners of his chin. "--..I can't even bare to look at her the same way that I usually do...and I can only imagine the harm that I might inflict on her...once I do see her again..." He closes his eyes, as though he was trying to calm himself. "She...deserves to be with Chifuyu. No matter how much I hate the thought of her...being with him...starting a life with him, of all people...I...can't change that. Not anymore."

(Y/n)'s face goes pale at these words she hears from her former friend. She really did believe that what he wrote in his letter, regarding his approval of her and Chifuyu, was the truth. 'He...lied...?' She gulps thickly, unsure of how to react to this distress that Mikey gave off in his video.

"Takemitchy, promise me this: In twelve years, please stay away from me. Don't go back to the past and save me, or something." Mikey manages to form a small smile. "To walk down this path is my own decision."

There comes another pause in the video. Mikey hesitates to then say. "Takemitchy, we will not be meeting again. So, let me tell you this, for the last time..." He exchanges a warm smile, but it was painfully obvious that he was doing it to hide his pain and loneliness. "Please live a happy life!"

The video ends there, and Takemichi and (Y/n) are dead silent. They learned something that's a great significance to Mikey's future, but at what cost? To now debate on whether or not to agree on such a controversial decision that he made for his friends, and not for himself? Easier said than done.