Chapter VII - Strength

My dad was never around the house. He was the only parental figure I had, because my mom passed away after giving birth to me...

"Oh crap!" The older brother of the little (Y/n), who goes by the name Satoko, repetitively swats the spatula at the burning eggs, in anticipation that it'd change the circumstances of the wasted food. "Oh crap, oh crap!" He fails to save the meal and quickly takes the pan to the sink. Just in time, he prevents a fire from occurring.

The three year old (Y/n) leans her head out from the entrance of the dining room, connected to the kitchen. It was an extremely small apartment that she had lived in. She frowns at the sight of her brother's distress, wishing that she could do something to help, despite her young age.

My brother, who was three years older than me, tried everything he could to nurture. But, despite his efforts, he could never fulfill that image of an actual father. At the end of the day, he was still my brother. And I don't think I wanted our unfortunate circumstances to change that...

Satoko would finally notice (Y/n) watching him. He plays off the embarrassment of a show he put on with a sheepish chuckle. "Looks like we'll have to go to out and buy some stuff for breakfast. Sorry, (Y/n)." He puts aside the apron he wore and hurriedly gathers a book bag that would hold his own wallet and beverages. "Let's go together, yeah? You can pick out a snack too." He gestures a hand to the little girl, exchanging a smile of genuine kindness.

(Y/n) hesitates. "Okay..." She isn't one to disobey or protest against her brother. Not ever. So that's why she obliges in going with him to retrieve a meal from the nearest store there was. Even if it had already been this way for years.

~•~

He was always so kind and patient with me. Even when there were times where he didn't want to be...

"It broke?" Satoko examines the tattered arm of (Y/n)'s doll up close. "Oh no..." He quickly goes to a closet that stored a good amount of supplies. "Wait just a minute, (Y/n). I think dad has a sewing kit around here." He puts aside the ruined toy and searches through the closet, shelf by shelf. "Well, initially it was mom, but I don't think he threw it out..."

(Y/n) pouts at the toy that she was responsible for destroying. She didn't mean to burden her brother with such a task that she can imagine to be annoying. "Sorry..." She doesn't have to heart to make eye contact with Satoko.

Satoko returns his gaze on the little girl, and simply smiles. He assures to her. "Don't be sorry. These things happen." He proceeds to look for the sewing kit. "If we can't find it, then I'll buy you a new one, okay?"

His words doesn't change anything about (Y/n)'s guilt. But, like always, she accepts the comfort and just watches him make an effort in being a good big brother.

With only me and Satoko around the house, I had to rely on him so often. And I felt terrible doing that almost constantly...

~•~

And, of course, it wouldn't change when my dad left  us behind...

Satoko had already finished reading the letter that his so-called father had left for him and (Y/n). He was enraged at how blunt he was in his writing, not even surprised that he would resort to a decision like this, no matter how messed up it was.

"That bastard...!" Satoko clenches onto both sides of the paper, his gaze kept on the writing that was upon it. "That..!" He grits his teeth and crumbles up the paper, right when (Y/n) is just waking up. "He's such a jerk!" He struggles in containing his anger, not even noticing his little sister.