Chapter X - I Didn't

[Three Weeks Later]

Right after her daily check up, Chifuyu returned to (Y/n)'s hospital room, with bentos that bought from the nearest grocery store. Along the way, he also got a bag of strawberries cookies, well aware that they were one of her favorites.

"What did the doctor say?" Chifuyu hands (Y/n) the opened bento, to which she accepts.

(Y/n) puts down the item on her lap. "Says that everything looks fine." She exchanges an innocent smile, emphasizing her good condition. "I should be dismissed by the end of this week." She notices the cookies on the end of her bed and subconsciously reaches towards it, only for her hand to get slapped. She yelps at the sudden contact and retreats her arm.

Chifuyu scowls and points at (Y/n) with his chopsticks, about to eat his lunch. "Eat the bento first. You can eat the cookies after."

(Y/n) pouts, and looks down at her meal. "Fine." She takes her first bite, relishing the taste in a matter of seconds. As she ate, she couldn't help but to steal a few glances at Chifuyu, noting to herself that he really has been a help to her this entire month. 'His frequent visits, as well as our conversations...' She chuckles sheepishly and says. "Feels rather nostalgic, spending time like this again."

Chifuyu swallows on the rice that he was chewing on. He blinks a few times, no sure what to say at first. He awkwardly averts his eyes from (Y/n)'s and simply agrees. "Yeah."

A sea of sweat soaks (Y/n)'s forehead, a strained smile present on her face as she tries to look composed. 'Yet at the same time, there's still some awkwardness left between us!' She returns her eyes to her bento. 'This is bad. It's almost been a month, and I still haven't told him about Toman's Second Generation!' She starts to worry more. 'How can I? He's avoiding Takemichi, and he's got a job at that pet shop! I can't just tell him to put everything down and join!'

(Y/n) shakes her head. 'No. He said he would do anything he can to help me. So if I asked him to join, he'd do it with no questions asked.' She thinks more about the outcome that's most likely to happen. 'Maybe I was just overthinking this entire time.' She glances back at where Chifuyu sat and tries to muster the courage to tell him right then and there. 'Just tell him. Before he was your boyfriend, he was your best friend. You can't keep underestimating him!'

"Sorry..." (Y/n) stiffens at the words that escape Chifuyu's lips. "I know I implied that I forgave you, after what you've done, but there's just some..." A sorrowful look plasters the former vice captain's face. "--stubbornness left in me." (Y/n)'s eyes softens in reaction. "And you've been trying so hard to make things right, too....it's not fair to you..." He genuinely feel bad, as though he was at fault for creating this awkward atmosphere.

(Y/n) doesn't think of it being unfair. She depicts it as Chifuyu being justified. "It is fair. What I did hurt you. And that's no excuse. Because unlike me, you're a genuinely kind and loyal person." She offers a genuine smile to him. "Please, take all the time you need to properly forgive me. I'm just glad we can spend time like this again. You're one of my bestest friends Chifuyu." She doesn't think that she would've move forward with this upcoming plan without him.

A faint blush colors Chifuyu's cheeks. Seems as though he has yet to accustom to (Y/n)'s compliments and praises. "Thank you..." Within him still remains some sense of guilt, he can't explain it.

(Y/n) reads off his expression with ease and would then bring up the memories of the past. "Do you remember when I first took you to my place?" She earns the blonde haired teen's attention on the first go. "You got beat up by Baji. So I carried you to my room, to heal your wounds. Because of how traditional my grandparents were, I had to lie to them about you being my boyfriend."