Chapter 8 - Something feels strange...

- Anyways... Hailey, are you gonna tell your parents...?
- Yes, I'll tell them tonight.
- Good! I'm glad you're telling them!
- Yeah, on second thought, you're right. I shouldn't hide away from stages just to not suffer again. I think Shannon would understand.
- Exactly! That's the spirit! You're getting it...
- Haha... Yes! I'm getting it. Thanks to you. Thanks.

They both smiled.

[...]

During dinner, Hailey felt extremely nervous and started to sweat a bit. Zander noticed and asked:

- Hailey, are you okay?

She nodded. But her brother knew she wasn't okay and asked once again.

Well, there was no other choice left but to tell them the truth.

- ...I'm gonna participate in this year's talent show! - Hailey suddenly spilled it out.

The table was silent for a few moments, and Shannon looked surprised. She then asks:

- Are you sure...?

Hailey takes a deep breath and decides to say what's inside of her.

- Yes, mom. I can't live hiding from the world and not facing my fears just to not suffer again! I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you. I know you don't want me to, but it'll be good for me. Trust me.

Her step-mom wides her eyes in shock. She didn't see that coming.
Fortunately, her father supported her.

- Oh, sweetie... I'm so glad you realized it. I was so afraid of you dropping out of music after this competition because of that incident! - He says, with a big smile on his face. - I'm so proud of you...!

Zander whispered something to Shannon, and she thinks for a moment.
Her eyes seemed to sparkle.

- I... I'm sorry for not being so supportive, Hailey. If your dream is to sing onstage, but you've got a stage fright, I should't've just tell you to give up. I should've encouraged you to face your fears.

The girl felt a pang in her heart, as if she had just done something wrong. She wasn't that close with Shannon anymore, and she'd just made her feel bad.

- Sorry that I hurt you, mom.

- It's okay, sweetheart. You're right. - She got up from her chair and hugged Hailey.

Michael, Zander and Bethany look at each other and smile at what they see.
Hailey's dad, mainly, because he knew how painful it was for her to change their lives so fast after her mother died.

[...]

The next day, Hailey and Zander walked into the school and found the music club.

- Hey guys! - the girl said, with a bright smile.

- Hey there! How's it going? - Milly replied.

- Well, we're fine. Yesterday me and Shannon made peace with my singing issue!

Everyone gasped, amazed with the news.
- Really?? That's so good, Hailey!! I'm so glad you got this out of your chest! - Luke sighed.

- Me too, Hails! - Milly agreed.

- Yeah, I'm happy too, - Hailey looked down - but I don't think I could've done this without Jake. He adviced me and made me realize I should stand up for myself and my dreams.

Luke and Milly looked at each other with a smirk. Zander noticed the act and got a little scared.
After all, he could faint just with the idea of Jake and Hailey dating.

Milly softly punched Luke in the arm and asked herself aloud, in a mischievous tone:
- Speaking of Jake, where is him?

The teal-haired girl turned to look for the one, and soon saw him entering the school.

- There he is! I'll go talk to him. - Then she took off running towards Jake.

- Hey Jake! Good morning!
- Good morning, Hailey! You ok?
- Yeah! Totally. I just came here to talk to you. About... Last night.
- Oh. Did you talk to your mom?

Hailey frowned and squished her face, looking like she was hiding something.

- Hailey...
- Just kidding! I did, and she understood me. We're fine now.
- Really?? Ayy, that's amazing!!! I knew you could do it!! - Jake celebrated already jumping into Hailey's arms.

As soon as he realized what and where he was doing that, he let go of her right off.

- Sorry, I got a bit too excited...
- Haha, it's okay.
- But... You two didn't fight, did you?
- No! She was concerned of course, but she wasn't harsh on me and understood me right away.
Jake smiled and chuckled in a charming way.
- I mean, I already imagined. I'm always right.
- Geez, you're so cocky. I came to tell you good news and you brag that your advice worked? - Hailey joked.
- Well, it worked, didn't it? So don't complain. Just behold my wisdom. - He completed blinking an eye. The girl rolled her eyes.
Soon, they caught themselves laughing at eachother.
That wasn't even funny, but they just felt comfortable. Being by eachother's side makes them feel comfortable, I guess.

For a while, they looked at eachother smiling.

Inside Hailey, at that moment, any problem seemed useless in the face of that moment. She felt good on Jake's side.

Inside Jake, he felt the same way Hailey felt... But for the first time. He didn't know how to process that well, after all, he was so used to feeling it with Daisy that he almost thought it wasn't nothing relevant.

Maybe he was just being carried away by emotion.
Or maybe he already got carried away without even noticing.

Suddenly, the bell rang, ruining the beauty of the moment.
They both widened their eyes and interrupted the "romantic" mood.

- Is it just me or you also hate this bell?
Jake laughed.
- No, this bell is the worst.
And they laughed one last time before making their way to the lockers.

They walked side by side, and for a split second Jake almost wanted to grab Hailey's hand. At least, on purpose.

It was so weird... How could he feel this way about Hailey? They are just friends. There was no sense.
Besides, after that competition mess, they'd strengthened their friendship a lot more. Why ruin everything because of a silly feeling?

{Well, *sigh* I can't deny that a lot of things have happened between me and Hailey. But I'm getting over Daisy little by little, I shouldn't fall in love again so quickly. Even if I am, I don't want it to be the same as it was to Daisy... I couldn't stand it.} - The peach boy lamented to himself.

Hailey, on the other hand, was already confirmed that there would be nothing between them. After the competition, she also knew that they strengthened their friendship. Everything was fine the way it was.

But what the two of them didn't realize is that, simultaneously, they were both not satisfied with the situation they were in.

This feels a bit strange, ain't it?
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
END OF CHAPTER 8!

YAAAAASSSSSSSS FINALLY!!!!!! I'VE TOLD YOU GUYS!!!! I'VE TOLD YOU I'M NOT GIVING UP ON THIS 💃💃💃💃

You don't know how much I've been trying to find some time to continue this---- My classes began again in August 2nd so now I've been more focused in school (and I got lazy in my July vacation lmaooo)

But anyways, have a brand new chapter! I hope you enjoyed, and I see y'all (hopefully) soon 💖