Chapter 9 - (In)convenients

It was now geography class, one of the most chill ones, because the teacher is very kind. So everyone chats more than usual in it.

After that... "something" that happened, Hailey couldn't help but wonder if Jake felt the same for her, or he was just admiring her as a friend.
Well, they agreed to forget about that cheek kiss and continue their friendship like usual. Maybe Jake got that literally. If so, that would probably make Hailey very upset...

Well, on the other hand, Jake was feeling weird. Like, why out of everyone, he had to fall in love with Hailey?
Was he in love, though? I mean, they're just friends.

His thoughts were interrupted by the one he was thinking about, which was sitting on the desk next to him.

- Jake? Are you okay?-

He got a little dizzy and took a while to reply.

- Oh, I'm fine, I just spaced out.

- ...Okay.

The girl turned back to her chair.
Jake felt his heart beating a bit faster than usual and, in a moment of distraction with his own heartbeat, he said something completely nonsensical:

- Actually... I didn't understand this exercise much, do you think you can help me?

What? Just read the statement and the answer was clear! Why did he say that?

-The answer is in the statement, Jake! Don't you understand what to do?

Jake froze.

- Y-yeah, but I think I got so distracted now that I couldn't find the answer. - He disguised, giving a shy smile.

Hailey rolled her eyes, smiled and proceeded to explain.

To be honest, Jake kind of needed that explanation, but he'd remember how to solve the problem for himself. He was more admiring Hailey than learning.

- ...therefore, the United States has more petroleum in this region. Got it?

- Mhm. Thanks for helping me...

- No problem!

She turned back to her desk.
Jake felt a little happier, but he didn't want to be distracted again by thinking about it. Better to leave the denial phase for later.

After a tedious 50 minutes, class ended and everyone got up from their desks.
The room was a riot, as the next class would be that one everyone can choose, so they got a little (in fact, very) stuck between their desks when it was time to go to the lockers.

Jake and some classmates got stuck on the other side of the room, and when they finally made it across to the other side, the peach boy found a paper lying on the floor.

He bent down to pick up the paper, and was surprised when he read it: