Chapter 13 - Pressure and discoveries

Hailey's spent the whole Thursday deciding what she's gonna do with Zoey's threat.
Because, if she sings anyway, Zoey will tell everyone about her weird headache series and her crush on Jake! Which could cause an emotional breakdown this time, and her headache would turn into a migraine and make her pass out again. Maybe even... Die? (Which is practically 99% impossible, but due to the severity of the pain she's been having, she didn't want to take the risk)

And if she quit, she would hide her talent again and never get over the 7th grade talent show. She would even lose Jake's friendship, for leaving him aside when he needer her, and after he helped her about everything.

This dilemma is indeed extremely complicated. And that's when it hit her:

{Oh, so that's how Jake felt when I pressured him to choose between the club and his friends...}

She thought that as she combed her hair, getting ready to go to school. Finally, the big day had arrived.

In fact, the event would take place after lunch. They would give 30 minutes to eat and another 1 hour to get ready and get everything ready. (1 extra hour of lunch and a cool event? Whoa, well done, Rosemeadow!)

Her clothes were already settled. She would wear a long-sleeved blouse with high collar, a turquoise with pink dress and boots with a white fishnet stockings. And a cute black ribbon on her hair to put in a bun.

She and Zander walked in the school nervous like they never were.
After all, it was specifically a talent show, which was a traumatizing event for everyone of their family, specially Hailey.

They met Milly, Jake, Luke and even Sean gathered up in the dressing room of the amphitheater, where they were going to perform.
Fortunely the principal let Sean play the beat onstage with them, since he's an ex-student of the school and he helped the music club to make the beat, after all.

- Hi guys! So... Is everything settled? Are the instruments here already? - Hailey asked, a bit distressed.

- Yeah, - Luke answered - Sean and some guys from his class helped us to carry my drums and the DJ table.

- Well, that's good! But, something still bothers me...

- What is it? - Milly got worried.

The teal-haired girl stopped to think, and... It wasn't a good ideia to share her thoughts at the moment.

- ...Nevermind. It's nothing important.

Jake noticed something was wrong, but he didn't ask right away. He should ask it in a more approrriate time...

But, yeah, we can't deny that was going to be a very tough day for everyone.

Hailey didn't pay attention to most of the classes - mostly overthinking and spacing out - so, eventually, everyone in the class got worried.
Except Zoey.

[...]

It was lunchtime, and the music club sat with everyone gathered at the same table (which was pretty rare, since Jake always sat with Drew, Liam, and Henry)

They were talking about how nervous they were.

- What are we gonna do onstage? Do you guys think we can make it...?

- What? Of course we can, Luke! - Sean comforted. - I mean, we've been through the messiest competition ever! A talent show will be a piece of cake, right...? A very delicious cake, an easy to make and delicious cornmeal cake. Easy-peasy.

Although, Hailey had to break Sean's humor, crying and laughing mutually:
- I hate cornmeal cakes.

The DJ chuckled, but soon after, was saddened.