chapter 1- purple smoke and blue eyes

You were startled out of your nap to the sound of your phone alarm buzzing. Unable to hide your groan of irritation, you quickly turned it off so the annoying sound would stop.

It was a Saturday afternoon, which to any other person would be seen as a good thing, a great thing even. Nope, not for you. It just so happened to be the busiest day at the pizzeria you worked at. And you know New Yorkers, they just love them some pizza.

So it's an understatement to say that place was always packed, especially since it was summer. Saturdays were just on a whole new level though.

Saturdays were the perfect days for children's birthday parties, teenagers to loiter and not actually buy anything, and drunken adults to cause a scene. And you absolutely hated it. But hey, whatever pays the bills right?

Once you were dressed in your uniform, you left your room to the rest of your quiet apartment.

'Typical'', you thought to yourself.

You grabbed your keys off the counter with your phone in your pocket and quickly left. Before you could head to work though, you had to make a quick pit stop.

After a 5 minute walk, you stepped through those familiar daycare doors to be greeted with a friendly smile.

"Hey Y/n!" Sammy greeted. She was one of the best caretakers in that place so it always put your mind at ease that your little sister was in good hands.

"Did you just come back from work?" She asked.

"Nah I got the Night Shift today." You said, unable to contain your eye roll.

"Geez your schedules always changing. Sounds exhausting." You shrugged.

"Eh, I make due. I just need to pick Elena up before I head over there."

"Yeah well she's at the table coloring. Have fun at work." She said, knowing damn well you won't.

"Mhm I'll try." You chuckled. Upon hearing your voice, your little sister came running at you and hugged your legs with all her might. This made you laugh as you picked her up so you two were at eye level.

"Hey little 'Lena. You ready to go?" You cooed.

"Yup! I have lots of colored pictures to hang up on the fridge!" She yelled as she gestured to her backpack. You laughed at her excitement as you made your way to work with her in your arms. It was funny that something so small as hanging a picture up could bring her so much joy.

"Is pa at home yet?" You started walking again when the red light turned green, avoiding those big eyes piercing up at you with hope filled inside them.

"Umm... I don't know?" Your sister deadpanned at your answer. Elena was pretty smart for her age, so she could clearly tell the difference between the truth and a lie. "Alright alright. No, he's not home yet."

The five year old scoffed at your expected answer. "Typical." she muttered to herself. You looked down to see a deep frown replace a carefree smile that was just on her face only a minute prior. A frown only your "father" could cause. The rest of the walk there was quiet as you could see she didn't feel like talking anymore.

Once you walked through the doors of the pizzeria, grease and children's feet filled your nostrils. 'Ah yes, just the smell everyone dreams of.'

You gently set Elena down as you carefully petted her head. "Alright go sit at the kids area. Call me if you get hungry or if you need anything 'kay?"

"'Kay. Have fun at work!" She said with a mischievous grin as she ran to the ball pit.

"You know I won't!" You yelled back. She knew how much that sentence could tick you off.