chapter 12- no threats, only promises

"So, those guys were the Purple Dragon?" Claire asked as her hazel eyes held a bit of disbelief. You nodded.

"Yup."

"Hm."

"What?"

"It's just, for being a feared gang they didn't seem so tough to me. Just a couple of punks trying to act hard." You chuckled as you continued to sweep the debris on the floor from the ceiling.

"That's cause you had a gun Claire." She shrugged as she took the broom from you, finishing cleaning up the mess herself.

It was just you and your manager in the pizzeria, trying to make the place look like it hasn't been shot up. Stephanie went to surprise her boyfriend, though it took a lot of convincing on your part to reassure her that you would be alright without her supervision.

It had been 5 hours since the Purple Dragon decided to pay you a unwanted visit. Now it was 8 p.m. and you were mentally drained from the exhausting day you had.

After everything, all you wanted to do was retreat into the comfort of your room and never leave.

"Well, I should get going. I'll see you tomorrow Claire bear!" You spoke hurriedly as you attempted to rush through the doors.

"Aye, not so fast." The authority in her voice stopped you in your tracks.

'Should've known it wasn't gonna be that easy.'   You turned to look at her, a nervous smile on your face.

"You really expect me to let you walk out of here alone at night? What if those creeps are still waiting for you?"

"Psh, I don't think they're that desperate." You half joked with a grin. Her eyebrows slanted into a deep scowl.

"I'm serious y/n." You sighed.

"Right right, sorry. Really though, I'll be ok." She still looked at you with uncertainty. You quickly pulled out your phone and shot Leonardo a message, telling him to meet you in the alley. "Here. If it makes you feel any better, my friend is walking me home. Trust me, they won't mess with me when he's around."

She tiredly shook her head as she pinched the bridge of her nose worriedly.

"Christ kid, what am I gonna do with you." She looked at you for a minute longer before exhaling a deep breath. "Alright fine. Just, promise me you'll be safe. Ok?"

"I promise." You gave a mouth closed smile for reassurance.

"Oh, and one more thing." You turned back to her with a tilt of your head. "Why did the scrawny guy mention something about a turtle?"

'Shit!' Your eyes widened for a split second before you furrowed your brows in "confusion".

"What?"

"Yeah, he mentioned something about a turtle freak saving you I think." You shook your head with a smirk.

"I have no idea Claire. I think that guy might have a couple screws in loose." You took your index finger and made circular motions near the side of your head, causing her to laugh.

"Ya know what kid? I think you might be right. See you tomorrow."

"Bye Claire." And with that, you left. All while thanking the universe that Stephanie wasn't there, for she would've definitely known you were lying.