chapter 2- an ironic turtle plush

The cool relief of a sorry excuse of an ice pack you had made using plastic wrap and frozen water sat atop of your throbbing head. This was an attempt to die down the swelling on the large bump forming at the back of your skull, but in reality the low temperature of the ice was starting to give you a headache. You didn't mind though. It was lucky you still had feeling on the back of your head with how much brute force was put into your cranium hitting that wall. Who knew having your head slammed against a brick wall could hurt so much?

As you sat on top of the kitchen counter, you heard small footsteps approaching you. Looking down, you saw your little sister, rubbing the tiredness out of her eyes while her other hand held her favorite stuffed turtle you had gotten her from a rigged carnival game. You had been one of the lucky ones to actually leave that place with something other than a nauseas stomach from the rides or a sugar rush from the carnival food. Despite the 100 dollars you spent on that stupid ring toss game to win that turtle plushy, it made her happy. So, it was a win in your book.

"Hey 'Lena. What're you doing up?" You spoke softly, mostly for your own sake since your ears were still ringing, but also for hers since she was still a bit shaken up from that terrible occurrence only a few hours ago. Who wouldn't be though? Hell, you were still scared too. The only difference was you had to put on a brave face, she didn't. No one was going to comfort you in their arms as you bawled your eyes out, Elena had that though. But maybe it was better that way. You never liked crying much anyway. Nothing good ever came out of it from your past experiences so why should you start now?

"I had a nightmare." Her quivering voice was so small you barely heard what she said. You picked her up carefully from under her arms as you sat her on your lap, both of you now on the cold surface of the kitchen counter.

"Are you okay?" 'What kind of a question was that? Of course she wasn't ok. She had almost been kidnapped by those two guys who would've done who knows what with her and it would have been all your fault!' Your thoughts ran wild as you played a game of worse case scenario in your head of what would have happened if that stranger hadn't stepped in.

'That stranger'  You thought back to that mysterious figure hidden in the shadows with eyes of blue.

"I'm just a little spooked. Are you ok?" She asked as she turned to look at you, pointing to your head, bringing you back to the present.

"Heh. Don't worry about me kiddo, I'll be fine. Just a small bruise that'll be gone before you know it." Her eyes fluttered shut as you delicately moved her baby hairs away from her forehead. "Tell you what, I have the night shift again tomorrow but instead of you coming with me, you'll stay with Mr. And Mrs. Sanchez. I know they've been missing you like crazy." A soft fit of giggles escaped the little girls mouth as a result of you tickling her sides. The once quiet kitchen being replaced with a noise you loved hearing.

"Will I have to go to daycare tomorrow?" Puppy dog eyes have been and always will be one of your many weaknesses when it comes to the tiny girl in front of you, and she knows it.

"Hmm. Well, I guess it wouldn't hurt if you missed just one day right?" You grinned down at her. It was painful how easily you give in to whatever your sister wants.

"Yay!" She said as enthusiastically as she could manage. You chuckled at her silliness, looking to the right to check your phone screen, the time reading '2:13 a.m'. You hopped off that counter and grabbed your sister, cradling her in your arms as you made your way to your room.

"Let's get you to bed huh?" You softly placed her on your bed, tucking her in as you laid yourself besides her.

"Can we watch TV? Just for a little?" She asked as she nuzzled herself into your arms. You quickly lifted your left arm around her, pulling her into your side.