ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕊𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕟 // ℙ𝕖𝕔𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒𝕣

Sawyer's POV

Breakfast wasn't quiet, it never was, but this morning me and Enoch were invited into the conversation. It was first to be a part of the bigger picture, one full of other children with something more interesting to say, but it felt good.

When everyone stood up to continue on with their day, Miss P stopped me.

"I have decided your chores, now after breakfast, lunch and dinner you will be doing the dishes. Now you will have a partner that will change between meals. Understood?" Her arm was wrapped around my shoulders as she talked quickly. I nodded my head and began to collect plates along with an invisible Millard.

"Guess it's just you and me Millard," I say with a small smile.

"Guess so, Sawyer," he replied with joy in his voice and I could only guess he smiled back. (the snack that smiles back, GOLDFISH, anyone? Just me? okay)

We collected all the dishes and placed them into the sink and on the counter. There were many and it was slightly overwhelming, but manageable.

"Okay, are you washing and I'm drying or the other way around?" I asked, rolling my sleeves up and placing my hands on my hips. His head turned towards me, only noticeable by the hat moving. He rolled up his sleeves too before answering.

"Up to you, I usually do both." There was a slight chuckle after the words which placed another smile on my lips.

"Well, alright. I'll wash because I have no clue where anything goes and we can switch when I learn where things are." I replied, chucking too. We immediately got to work, both of us grabbing tools. I placed soap on the sponge as Millard grabbed several towels to dry the dishes before putting them away.

We worked to the sound of running water and dishes clanking, but we moved quickly. If only we had music to drown the boredom. However, right before we finished, something peculiar occurred.

I was washing the dishes when out of nowhere Hugh jumped out and scared me. I screamed and dropped the sponge into the sink. Both boys walked in front of me, heads pointed upward even though both were taller than me. Hugh held a look of curiosity and child-like wonder, I could only imagine Millard having the same one.

"What are you guys looking at?' I asked them and they pointed up and behind me. As I looked where they pointed I could tell why they were staring. My eyes widened in horror as I saw the stream of water running. Not down like it should be, but up. Up towards the ceiling where it formed a puddle, which was starting to turn into a pool of water. I looked back down at the boys horrified.

"Sawyer y-you need to stop the water from flowing up!" Millard said quickly, fear evident in his voice.

"I don't know how! I didn't even know I could do this!" I yelled back, facing my palms upward, which made the water rush faster.

"I'll go get Miss Peregrine," Hugh said before taking off. Millard took a step towards me, hand outstretched. I took a step back in reaction, afraid of hurting him.

"Millard please back up, I-I don't know what I'm capable of! I don't want to hurt you!" I yelled again, the water rushing even faster. My breathing started to become shorter and faster. It felt like the walls were closing in on me.

"What is all the-'' Instead of a femanine voice, the Scottish accent caught our attention as Enoch ran into the room, but stopped when he saw the water forming above us. Enoch paused for a moment before walking towards me with confidence. He grabbed my face and looked into my eyes before speaking again.

"Sawyer, listen to me. You are okay, you just need to calm down," his words were firm but comforting. The look held in his eyes wasn't afraid, but caring.