chapter sixteen | words before threats

16 // Chapter Sixteen

Words Before Threats

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The events of last night seemed like a blur for Clara. She remembered Derek trying to kill Jackson, the hunters attacking the Hale house, Derek presuming being taken capture. But one thing that seemed vivid was Scott lying in Clara's arm and slowly dying. One thing that seemed shocking that night was Deaton finding them. Clara helped Deaton put Scott into his car and drive towards the animal clinic. After hours of staying with an unconscious Scott as Deaton patched him up, Deaton finally told her to go home and get some sleep. At first she was more than hesitant but Clara finally realized she would never be able to function tomorrow if she didn't at least get a few hours of sleep.

Her and Stiles sat next together on computer chairs as they both watched Scott scramble around his room, looking for his cell-phone which he had apparently lost, "Call it again!" Scott demanded as he dropped down to the floor to look under his bed.

"It's not here." Stiles said, growing slightly irritated that Scott was freaking out about something rather simple. Clara pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear, blinking her eyes. Clara found herself not getting too much sleep since her concern for Scott and Derek was overbearing her yearn for sleep.

Clara rolled her eyes, "Okay, so you lost your phone. Why don't you just get a new one?"

"I can't afford a new one. And I can't do this alone." Scott panicked as before standing up, "We have to find Derek."

"Well, 'A', you're not alone. You have me and Clara." Stiles said cheerfully, "And 'B', didn't you say Derek walked into gunfire? He sounds pretty dead."

Clara glared at him, "He's not dead."

"Argent's plan was to use him to get to the Alpha - they're not gonna kill him." Scott responded as his eyes darted around his bathroom.

"All right, so then just let them do what they're planning, you know?" Stiles said as him and Clara watch multiple articles of Scott's clothing be thrown around, "They use Derek to get Peter - problem solved."

"Not if Peter's going after Allison to find Derek!" Scott said loudly as he looked through his rows of shelves by his desk, "I can't protect her on my own. Which means we either find Derek first - just - just help me!"

Somewhere within the rummaging through Scott's room, a rubber ball was thrown at Stiles' head, which by the way Clara found hilarious, "You know, you probably lost it when you two were fighting. You remember that, when he was trying to kill you, after you interrupted him trying to kill Jackson? Are you starting to see a pattern of violent behavior here?"

"He wasn't going to kill Jackson." Clara defensively said even though she felt as if she was lying to herself.

Scott looked at the two, "He wasn't going to kill anyone. And I'm not letting him die."

Stiles groaned slightly in annoyance, "Could you at least think about letting him die? For me?"

"No." Clara dead-pan before glancing over at Scott who's head whipped over towards the window, "What?"

"My mom just got home from work." Scott answered as he listened in. Clara looked over at the window, listening in on the sound of Melissa McCall still in her car in the driveway.

"Hi. It's me. Melissa McCall. I'm - giving you a call. That always sounds really weird because of my last name, McCall. So - yeah. Um - You know, I was just wondering if maybe you wanted to reschedule dinner or lunch. It doesn't have to be dinner. Lunch is good. Or maybe you would like to do coffee, or maybe you're a tea drinker. I don't know. You know, we could also just go out for drinks. Yeah, 'cause I think I need a few after this profoundly embarrassing phone call. So if this really doesn't freak you out too much after this disastrous call, feel free to, um, give me a call." She then hung up the phone but soft cries came afterwards.