chapter seventeen | panic on the rise

17 // Chapter Seventeen

Panic on the Rise

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Clara watched through the mirror as Lydia curled another strand of her hair. Lydia had somehow convinced Clara that getting ready for winter formal was something that they needed to do together so here she was now, sitting in Lydia Martin's house while Lydia herself did Clara's hair. A winter formal wasn't exactly on Clara's to-do list but maybe a formal could take away all the stress and worry.

"So...who's your date?" Lydia asked as she ran a brush through another strand of hair she just curled.

"Um, I don't have a date actually." Clara said as she fumbled with her fingers, "I was planning on going alone."

Lydia cocked her head to the side, "Clara Lennon not having a date to the dance. How the hell did that happen?"

"My oh-so-secretive boyfriend that you and Allison were hinting at is not in high school and is...out of town." She trailed off, not wanting to hint at her boyfriend being the wanted fugitive Derek Hale and that he was captured by evil annoying hunters.

"Well then it's his lost." Lydia smiled before clenching her jaw, "Allison is going with Jackson."

Clara looked at Lydia through the mirror thoughtfully, "Did you really like him or was it all about the popularity?"

It took Lydia to think for a moment, completely silent. Of course the popularity of Jackson pushed Lydia up the social scale of high school but inside of that twisted and toxic relationship that they shared, their was a connection, "I loved him." Lydia shrugged while her voice was only merely a bit louder than a whisper, "I still do but it's to late now. I'm going with Stiles."

"Stiles." Clara rose her eyebrows, "Do you even like him?"

"He's just a last resort but maybe he won't be that bad." Lydia tried to reassure herself. Clara felt bad for Stiles in a way; his crush only going out with him because she's desperate and still in love with someone else.

"Stiles is Stiles, a hyperactive spaz. Just don't let him get to close to the punch."

While the two girls began to laugh, Lydia's mother called from downstairs, "Girls! Stiles is here to pick you up."

The two girls sat up and walked downstairs, Lydia in front of Clara. As they descended down the wooden stairs, Clara finally caught of a view of Stiles. He was in a tucked in white shirt with a black-and-white striped tie and a suit. She had to admit, he cleaned up pretty nice.

Stiles finally turned around to face the girls once they reached the finally step of the stairs and his eyes nearly bulged out of his sockets, "Wow, you two look..."

"Amazing. We know." Lydia retorted as Clara let out a chuckle.

"You guys ready to go?" Stiles asked them.

Clara nodded, wearing her classic smirk, "Let's rock this bitch."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Stiles stumbled out of his jeep as he made his way over to the other side of the car, adjusting his collar. He opened the door to the back and the passenger's seat, letting Lydia and Clara get out. Once the two girls were out, Lydia began to brush off her dress since it was all wrinkled from being crammed up in Stiles' jeep.

Clara nervously glanced around, watching all the other couples walk into the school. To say she was high strung about this dance was an understatement. All the anxiety about Peter and Derek was clouding her. Never in her life has Clara Lennon been nervous about a dance yet she was now.