🌞Chapter 6🌻

🌞🌻

Gulf was early for his meeting with Mew,  it didn't think it would be a problem. He gazed out the window of the taxi and he leaned against its vinyl-covered seats. He was pleased with the unexpected opportunity to spend some time alone with Mew. Though the feelings didn't show on his face, Gulf was elated. If his coworkers could have seen him like that, his heart fluttering at the prospect of going out, they would have been shocked. The most typical description of Gulf at work was that he was a good worker, but quiet and uninteresting.

If Mew wasn't too busy, Gulf could invite him out somewhere. It wasn't even nine at night, so many restaurants would still be open. He remembered that there was a magazine in the office that listed all the best bars in town. He had flipped through it at some point, but never very carefully. All Gulf could do was lament his inability to plan anything. He missed having conversations with Mew, but he didn't know where they could go to make that possible. He was left groping for ideas.

It was an undeniable fact that gulf had been caught in Mew's thrall, but he still didn't understand the man very well. In order to stay with Mew, Gulf wanted to figure out a way to understand the man a little bit better. For that to happen, Gulf needed time to talk to Mew, to build a history one conversation at a time.

For example, what had Mew been like an a child? If he told Gulf stories about his formative years, perhaps Gulf would be able to understand why Mew had such an insensitive and idiosyncratic personality, which some had described as 'morally bankrupt.'

When Gulf arrived at Mew's building, there was no driveway near the entrance for the taxi to pull into, so he had to go through the service entrance in the basement. Gulf took his change from the taxi driver, and then walked into the basement lobby.

The luxury of the building was flawless in every detail. It made the breath of a commoner like Gulf catch in the throat. Crossing the floor that reflected his image, Gulf's footsteps echoed strangely. The place was like a hotel. Gulf hurried to the elevators with that image in his mind, and then stopped suddenly. Mew was standing there.

If Mew had been alone, Gulf would have called out to him. But he wasn't alone. There was a middle-aged man and a young woman with him. Gulf thought he recognized the man from somewhere, but he couldn't remember where.

Gulf didn't know what was going on, but he preferred not to be seen. As his eyes scoured the room for a place to hide, Gulf noticed the paper bag the woman was holding with the logo 'Six Winds' printed on it.

Six Winds was the name of a mid-sized publisher that focused on mystery novels, much like Sozan Publishing. Mew had written several books for them. Gulf must have recognized the middle-aged man from a party.

"Thank you for seeing us today, Sir." Gulf heard them saying their goodbyes. He tried to get away, but it was too late. The group came straight toward Gulf and he missed his opportunity to leave. The woman was dainty and she bowed her head to Gulf. Gulf returned her polite greeting.

"Mister Gulf." Mew smiled at Gulf, giving a flawless performance of detachment.

"I'm sorry, Mister Mew. It looks like I'm early. I hope I didn't interrupt."

"No, they were just on their way out."

The two others looked at Gulf a bit suspiciously, but they gave a quick, polite bows and hurried away.

"Which company does they work for?"

"That was the new editor from Six Winds," Mew answered without hesitation.

"The man?" Gulf asked, acting as naturally as he could to avoid suspicion.

"No, the young woman." Mew replied coolly.

Gulf was shocked.

What does that mean?

It felt as if a cold fist had closed around his heart. Gulf dug his nails into his palms, stumbling under the intense sensation.

"They wanted to wrap up their staff transfer as quickly as possible, so we had a quick meeting. I'm glad we finished on time."

"Oh. I see." Gulf's nails bit even deeper into his hands, fighting against the bitterness that was slowly expanding through his heart.

"Is something the matter?"

"No. So then you've already eaten?"

"Oh, yes. But if you're hungry I can have something prepared for you."

"No, it's fine."

Mew's words implied that the maid was still there, so Gulf shook his head and followed Mew into the elevator. After pushing the button for the fortieth floor, Mew looked at Gulf, his lips twisting ever so slightly.

"I can offer something else for dessert." His voice was teasing as he pressed against Gulf's back, gently wrapping his arms around Gulf to whisper in his ear.

"Sir---not here."

"You don't want it?"

"If someone sees us, it could be bad for you." Gulf said, trying to sound as cold as possible.

"You're so mean," Mew murmured against his ear. "I don't care if anyone sees us."

"But---"

The restraint of Mew's arms was so sweetly heartrending that Gulf almost forgot to slip out of them.

"There are security cameras in here, you know. And they've seen plenty already."

"What?!"

Gulf shoved Mew off of him with all his strength. Watching Gulf get his breathing under control, Mew chuckled in amusement. "You're still a coward, no matter how excited you get."

"You push things too far, Sir."

Gulf simply could not accept doing that in public.

"No, I don't. I just don't hold myself back."

"What does that mean?"

Before Mew could answer though, the elevator arrived at the fortieth floor. Mew walked down the hallway ahead of Gulf and opened the door to his apartment. He went in first, Gulf started to follow him, but Mew grabbed his arm tightly.

"Hey!"

Gulf stumbled and fell against Mew's chest. Mew held him, whispering erotically against his ear, "Is this better for you?"

"What do you mean?"

"An I allowed to kiss you now?"

Mew held Gulf's chin, forcing Gulf to look up at him. Gulf frowned. But when he tried to speak, his lips were sealed with the perfect familiarity of Mew's.

"I told you I hate having to hold myself back. How long do you want to keep me waiting?" Mew murmured between their kisses.

But Gulf had no time to answer. The kisses came in a constant barrage, deep enough to make his fingers numb, deep enough that he forgot to breathe. Gulf dug his nails into Mew's arms.

"That hurts," the man laughed. He stimulated the interior of Gulf's mouth, his saliva welling up. "Gulf, if you keep hurting me, I'm going to punish you."

"But---" Gulf shook his head. His back was pressed against Mew's shoe cabinet. Despite the pain in his arms, Mew didn't let Gulf go.

"But what?"

"The maid might see us."

"Are you hoping she will? That's so dirty."

Gulf struggled against being swept up in his passion, but Mew held his arms down and pressed his lips against Gulf's temple. Gulf was intoxicated by the gentleness of the kiss. He felt dizzy. "Sir---"

As if it had come to steal his words from him, Mew's tongue snaked into the narrow crack between Gulf's slightly sealed lips. The immediacy of Mew's forceful tongue overwhelmed Gulf. He thought his body was coming apart. He had no choice but to surrender, so Gulf wrapped his arms around Mew's back.

TBC