🌞Chapter 32🌻

🌞🌻

"I can't do anymore."

Gulf was leaning back against Mew's chest as they sat on the bed, his naked arm trailing from the sleeve of his bathrobe and stroking Mew's hair.

"No one said you had to," Mew muttered with an almost blunt indifference, tightening his arms around Gulf as if he would never let him go again. He pressed his lips against Gulf's hair, which smelled of shampoo.

Gulf was thirsty and reached out for a glass of mineral water, but Mew picked it up for him and gently pressed the glass to his lips.  It dripped a bit and water leaked from the corner of Gulf's mouth, trailing down his throat and washing over the remnants of Mew's kisses. Mew took a silent drink from the glass as well and then brought his lips to Gulf's. He passed the water, which had taken on some of his body heat, into Gulf's mouth. They exchanged several more mouthfuls.

Gulf smiled childishly as these kisses that were meant to cool him down actually enflamed him. He reached out to touch Mew's face with his fingertips and Mew smiled.

"Is that finally enough for you?"

"I just want to say that I've never slept with any man but you."

"The more you try to convince me, the more it sounds like a lie," Mew whispered teasingly in his ear. Gulf didn't know how to feel about that.

"The only reason I keep talking about it is because you never believe me."

"Maybe because you took time off to go on a vacation with Bright."

Gulf gasped. How did Mew know about that? Bright had promised not to tell anyone.

Mew smirked. "No matter how secretive you are, if I need to know, I'll found out."

Seeing Gulf sinking further into thought, Mew finally took pity on him.

"Makihara told me you'd taken time off, and when I called your cellphone, Bright answered."

"What?"

"He said you were too drunk to pick up. He didn't sound happy about answering."

Now that Mew reminded him of that night, it was entirely possible that there had been a missed call. Gulf wasn't in the habit of checking his call history, so he hadn't noticed.

"I knew that boy was overconfident and that he'd fallen in love with you. You might have been swept away.

"But I had to work with Mister Bright."

"You were working with me when you first slept with me."

"But...that was because it was you." Gulf pouted, glowering at Mew through his eyelashes. "Mister Bright wasn't established in our department, so I wouldn't be able to justify a business trip with him. I had to take some vacation days instead. It was just a research trip."

"But you didn't have any vacation to spare for me?"

That didn't sound like Mew. The implication of his words finally made Gulf realize that Mew had been a little jealous.

"I just wanted to improve my record. I didn't want people to think that I was acting inappropriately. It would be bad if it looked like you were doing me favors, since we're lovers."

"The fact that you even thought of that is proof that you're acting inappropriately."

"What does that mean?"

"Why should I care if you're incompetent? It doesn't matter to me. That problem comes before me doing you any favors," Mew said harshly. "You can come see me whenever you want and I'll even do whatever you want. Because you let me touch you. That's all the reward I need."

Sneaky. Mew only acted nice at times like that, when Gulf brooded.

"Then I wish you'd listened to me, sir. I would have told you everything. I would have told you that you're the only one."

Mew didn't answer.

Was he afraid? The thought crossed Gulf's mind suddenly. But Mew always said that Gulf's body was more honest than his heart. Even during sex, Mew had never once asked him if he had slept with Bright, or even if he liked Bright.

It would had been his fear that prevented him from investigating Gulf's betrayal by exploiting his body, which was so weak to pleasure. He was afraid that Gulf had betrayed him.

"I'm sorry," Gulf murmured, sitting up and wrapping his arms around Mew.

"About what?"

Mew must have been terrified of being betrayed, since he hated lies and betrayal himself. It must have been so hard for him. Mew was much more cowardly and naive than Gulf had realized. That man, who had grown up shrouded by loneliness, didn't really know how to interact with other people. Gulf knew that better than anyone, but he had overlooked it. He had thought only about himself and hadn't taken the time to notice.

"About everything."

"Well, if you feel that way, maybe you'll consider a request."

"A request?"

"Would you accept my invitations to go out on dates sometimes?"

Gulf's eyes widened at Mew's words. "But what if someone saw us?"

"I wouldn't care if someone did. Only if you don't mind, that is."

Mew's easy answer put Gulf in an awkward position. Fine, he got it. It had been completely drilled in; Gulf was always the sneakier one. He was calculating. But he just lack courage. He didn't want his reputation to fall. He wanted to be considered competent at his job. That pride got in the way and made it impossible to be open in his love for Mew.

In choosing his love for Mew, Gulf had wanted to abandon that calculating part of his personality, even to the point of betraying others. But then he had used his work as an excuse to ignore Mew's feelings. But he wouldn't run anymore. He wouldn't make any more mistakes.

"What's wrong? You don't want to go on dates?" Mew asked, growing suspicious of Gulf's silence.

"It's not that. I just...want to be with you, sir."

If I'm allowed to be with the man I love so much, nothing can beat that joy.

Someday, their love would crumble and fade away. That knowledge made Gulf want to treasure their love all the more while he still had it.

"That's enough for me," Gulf murmured, kissing Mew's cheek.

"You kissed the wrong place."

Seeing Mew's lips once again, Gulf smiled despite himself. The kisses he shared with Mew were sweet and tender. They washed away all the guilt he carried.

TBC