🌻Chapter 17

🌻

"Wow, what an incredible view!"

Watching Bright lean over the station's railing, Gulf felt a chill. It wasn't just the cool air that sent a thrill down his spine, though it was quite the contrast to the humid oppresion of the rainy season in Tokyo. Gulf hadn't realize that the station they were going to was in such a terrifying place from the documents Bright had sent.

"Mister Bright, please be careful. A fall like that would kill you."

"I bet it would. It's so amazing!"

The second day of their trip was blessed with perfect weather and cool temperatures---ideal conditions. They woke up early and left their hotel to pick up the rental car and head to their destination. Bright wanted to stop and look at everything along the way, but Gulf just wanted to wrap up the specific research they had to do. But since he had taken the trip for himself, he thought there was something to be gained from taking things more slowly.

"Maybe we should have come by train after all. This road is pathetic."

It was a switchback road. They had known it would be a hard drive and so had rented a compact car. But considering that one mistake could send them over the shoulder, it would have been much easier to take the train.

They first visited an unattended station, open to the elements. From the platform, they could only see two houses nearby. Gulf found it odd that Bright knew about the station at all, since he had no interest in trains. It was probably that trait typical of authors, whose instincts for new information pulled them in strange new directions. They spent the day walking around gathering information. Gulf, who spent most of his time sitting at a desk, was exhausted by the end of it. But Bright was young and had energy to spare, so he volunteered to drive them back.

When Gulf thought back on the terrifyingly narrowed road, he wondered why they had dared to drive on it at all. There were curves so sharp that the steering wheel wouldn't turn any further and it seemed as if they would go hurtling headlong over the mountainside. The stress kept them from talking very much.

"I didn't expect it to be that amazing. It really shocked me. Are you tired, Mister Gulf?"

Once they'd reached the village center, Bright's voice started to sound more cheerful, as if he was calming down. They had managed to end the second day of their research trip safely.

Sometimes Bright's carefree attitude made Gulf smile and helped create a reasonably laid back atmosphere. If he had been on a research trip with a famous author, Gulf was sure he would be more stressed.

"And now, to celebrate the success of today's research, we're staying at an inn," Bright said.

On their first night, they had stayed at a business hotel relatively close to the train station, but apparently Bright had splurged to reserve a room at an inn. Gulf decided that even if Bright called it an 'inn', it was probably just someone's house. But as Gulf looked out the passenger side window, Bright turend into the parking lot of a noticeably upscale building.

"Is this it?"

The building was impressive and the gated wall was of higher quality than any Gulf had seen before. Were they staying at such a high-class inn? He was sure there must have been some mistake, but Bright turned to him and shouted, "This is it!"

Getting nervous, Gulf hurried to catch up with Bright, who swept the front door open with a rattle.

"Welcome, Sirs. Do you have a reservation?"

The woman's cool voice gave Gulf a start. He glanced over at her: a hostess in a prim kimono, walking towards them.

"Yes, under the name Bright."