🌻Chapter 22

🌻

The cafe's air conditioner was on at full blast. The bell hanging over the door made a refreshing tingle every time a customer passed. Bright was right on time. He sat in front of Gulf and gazed at him intently.

"How's the manuscript so far?" Bright asked.

"It looks perfect. I got sucked into the story, and I needed to know what happen next, so I wound up finishing it in one sitting."

The day before, Bright had sent a print-out of his finished novel and Gulf had quickly devoured it. There were a few places where he wanted Bright to make some changes, but he had no complaints about the overall product. The research they'd done in Nagano had brought the story to life. Gulf had been sucked in even though he already knew the story.

"You really think so?!"

Gulf had prepared himself for the possibility that Bright might say something about their indiscretions during the researh trip, but it looked like Bright had no such intentions. On the contrary, he had lost none of his energy. Gulf was relieved to see that Bright was the same as ever.

"There were a few parts I wnated to go over with you. But they're only minor details."

"Okay."

"First this part I marked---the monologue seems inconsistent with the parts around it."

"Oh, that. It's okay. In this part...hm. I was sure it was on this page."

Gulf told him to speak up if there was anything he didn't want to change, but Bright didn't resist any of Gulf's suggestions. Maybe Gulf was just that convincing. In fact, several places that Gulf pointed out to him for correction, Bright simply nodded.

"So how long do you estimate it will take to make these corrections? It would be great if you could finish within the month."

"It's going to take a little fiddling to make this monologue clearer, but I can get it to you by the end of the week."

"That fast?"

Gulf had expected him to take a little more time. Bright's estimate was incredibly short. Seeing Gulf's look of surprise, Bright grinned.

"I want to finish as soon as I can so that you can finally relax, Mister Gulf."

"Thank you very much for your consideration. In that case, can you send it to me early next week? Say, Monday afternoon?"

Gulf asked and Bright agreed, grinning broadly. It was Bright's first job with Sozan Publishing and only his second publication, which ought to be celebrated. Gulf wanted everything he could to make sure the novel sold well. A review by someone famous on the cover would be great, if he could find someone to do it.

"Mister Gulf?"

"Er, yes?"

Bright's quiet voice snapped Gulf back from his reverie.

"I've been thinking about this for a while, but---when this project is finished, there's something I'd like to do."

"What's that?"

Maybe Bright wanted to serialize the story, or ask to do a new project. If sales got off to a good start right away, Bright might get a new contract, but Gulf couldn't make any promises right away.

"I'd like to talk to you frankly, Mister Gulf."

"Excuse me?"

"If you're with Mew Suppasit, that means you're open to being with guys. So I have a chance."

Gulf stared wide-eyed at Bright's breeziness. Even if he could take a proposition like that seriously, what would it accomplish? Gulf shook his head.

"I'd appreciate it if you would avoid making jokes of that kind during a business meeting. It's not very prudent."

"Do I sound like I'm joking?"

"If you were being serious, then I can only intepret it as an insult," Gulf replied curtly. He didn't want any trouble. "I don't have any particular interest in men. I'm sorry if I've given you the wrong impression."

"Then all I need is for you to accidentally fall for some other man." Bright's voice was terribly forceful, implying that he wouldn't take 'no' for an answer. "I know I'm not as good-looking as Mew Suppasit and maybe I'm not as talented, but I don't think I'm a loser, either." Bright tilted his head and looked at Gulf with a smile, but his eyes were earnest.

Gulf didn't think a standard excuse was going to get him out of the situation. He had an idea, though. "Surely there are a lot of other people better suited to you than I am, Mister Bright."

"Well, I'm not going to force you into anything right now," Bright acknowledged without a hint of malice. "But when I first met you, I thought it would have been great to be with you. I don't know how to put it, but I really like how adorable you can be, even though you're an adult."

The word 'adorable' rendered Gulf speechless. Only Mew had ever said that to him before.

"I mean, I know you work hard and you're usually a pretty calm and collected professional. But sometimes you're completely unguarded. I really like that."

"You're not being fair, Mister Bright," Gulf said with an ambigous smile. "No matter what I say, you'll take it badly. And we were getting so much good work done."

"Then you don't have to answer right now."

Conceding to Bright's suggestion might stop him from hounding Gulf for a little while. Unsure of what else to do, Gulf considered Bright's suggestion, and then agreed. No matter what happened, he could never returned Bright's feelings, and it would be cruel to encourage him. But if Gulf flat out refused, it might affect the novel. Gulf had to avoid any risk he could.

"Awesome!" Bright beamed, his hands balled into enthusiastic fists.

"That means there's still hope for me, right?"

Gulf didn't know how to respond to Bright's joyful question. He usually hated himself for being so wishy-washy. But in that moment, Gulf was shocked to realize how duplicitous he was willing to be in order to avoid confrontation.

TBC