THE CIGARETTE PATTERN

FRIDAY MORNING CALCULUS WAS A dreaded thing for most teenagers at Hawkins high. Especially if you were a Harrington, neither of the twins were secret mathematical prodigies or anything special. The only reason Steve wasn't failing was thanks to Becky Lovelis' notes. The same couldn't be said for Sophie who was most definitely flunking.

Instead of wallowing in her depressing thoughts, she decided skipping Friday morning calculus would be the best thing for her mental health. Sophie Harrington was delusional to say the least, she knew when her report card came she would attempt to strangle herself. Skipping calculus was just another bad decision that could be added to the list of bad decisions she'd made throughout her brief lifetime.

Sophie was treading down the hallway carefully as to not run into any teachers. They'd send her straight back to Mr McCallister's class, or maybe even to the guidance councillor or something. The corridors were ghostly and bare, the only sounds coming from the creaks of classroom doors every few minutes.

There were all but four students littered throughout the halls and Sophie was one of them. The other two seemed to be Greg Johnson (Sophie wasn't all that surprised that he'd also skipped calculus) and his new girlfriend Layla Kinsley. Sometimes she wondered how in the world Greg managed to stay on the basketball team with grades as atrocious as his. She would be crucified by the cheer coach for one failing grade, which she was now bound to obtain.

Another girl stood perched against her locker, skimming her eyes over a history textbook. Her face was adorned with flocks of freckles and her eyes were like waterfalls of blue. Her pink lips rested in between her teeth, only detaching as she saw Sophie. She waved to her, almost dropping her textbook in the process.

Sophie knew her from the hallways and that was about it, she was in band too, so therefore always present during Steve's games and Sophie's cheer routines. They were acquainted, but never really had a reason to actually speak to each other.

"Hey, hallway girl!" The younger girl cringed at the sound of her own voice. She didn't know if someone as popular as Sophie would take to her too kindly. There was also the risk of appearing too enthusiastic. "Sorry. Am I being annoying?"

Thankfully, the younger Harrington chuckled softly at the girl's awkward demeanour. "no, not at all." Sophie came closer to her, leaning up against the girl's locker now too and offering her a smile, "I'm Sophie."

"I know," she replied instantly, eyes wide, "I mean...everyone knows." She shook her head, a small grin etching it's way onto her features, "I'm Robin."

"Nice name," Sophie complimented, eyes softening at the tinge of red cascading down Robin's cheeks. "Now, Robin, aren't you supposed to be in class?"

"There's a sub," Robin told her, eyes flickering back to her history textbook. "Miss Click's giving us a quiz next and although I'll probably fail miserably, I thought it was worth a shot." Robin toyed with her fingers awkwardly, not really knowing what to say. "Your brother, he's um, he's in my class."

"I figured," the girl responded. She knew Steve's schedule off by heart now because he was hopeless and didn't seem to know it for himself. "Poor Steve probably doesn't even know there's a test."

"He gets crumbs everywhere," Robin stated without fully thinking about it.

"He does," Sophie nodded, "that's why I don't let him eat in my room."

Robin giggled, "so, hallway girl, why aren't you in class?"

"Calculus. Need I say more?" She joked, reaching down into her jean pockets, where a spare cigarette lay accompanied by a hot pink lighter. "Anyway, I'm gonna go, but it was nice speaking to you, Robin."